HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

WHO IS RITE IN THIS ONE PLEASE READ
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BILLET_GEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: WHO IS RITE IN THIS ONE PLEASE READ Reply with quote

ok the argument is at such that i say to get traction(good traction) u must have nice fat tyres at the ass of your car he argues that the fatter the tyre the less traction over the overall surface area the narower the tyre there is more traction over the area so there is more weight concentrated over the tyre. so in idealy u should have thin tyres at the back for more grip in his veiw
fat_82x
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: WHO IS RITE IN THIS ONE PLEASE READ Reply with quote

ohh me and my mate had this exact argument...
he reackons that in the dry and wet fat tyres will slide more, and skinner tyres grip more...
im with you on this, why would people who do up cars put fat tyres on there car if they dont grip as well....
amusing
fat_82x
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: WHO IS RITE IN THIS ONE PLEASE READ Reply with quote

give him a drive with 140's on there and then 205's and just see the difference... a little different
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: WHO IS RITE IN THIS ONE PLEASE READ Reply with quote

The skinnier tyres have more grip per square inch (or square centimetre) but overall the wider tyres have more grip.
BILLET_GEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: WHO IS RITE IN THIS ONE PLEASE READ Reply with quote

he said to me what do ur little rotas have on them i said FAAAT slicks then i showed him and he still arguees. hes cracken the shits hardcore he said he hopes i die......... lovley brother
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: WHO IS RITE IN THIS ONE PLEASE READ Reply with quote

LMAO!!!
did i read that right coz that has no logic.
Its like this.
Skinny=no traction, FAT=lots of traction
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: WHO IS RITE IN THIS ONE PLEASE READ Reply with quote

Not true. Two tyres of the same compound are going to "grip" the same amount per given surface area. Hence the reason the tyre with more surface area will get more "grip".
BILLET_GEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: WHO IS RITE IN THIS ONE PLEASE READ Reply with quote

im saying wide tyres will give better grip than some skinny lawn mover wheel

just a bit emotional had the biggest argument with him he said i hope u fucken wrap urself around a pole u peice of shit ur a waste of space........ yes this is my own brother aswell
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: WHO IS RITE IN THIS ONE PLEASE READ Reply with quote

With a narrower tyre you have a smaller surface area so you will have more weight per given surface area, which is where I got my reasoning.
whackenauffe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: WHO IS RITE IN THIS ONE PLEASE READ Reply with quote

skinnier tires will hav bet better grip per square inch, simply because theey have more weight baring down on them providing more traction, so lets say a skinny tire has a grip rate of 2 persq inch and is 6 inches wide that is an overall grip of 12, then say a Fat tire has a grip rate of 1.4 but is 10 inches across then it in turn would have a total traction of 14 which is more than the skinny tire. so in relation to your brother u are both right, per square inch a skinny tire is better, however overall a fat tire will provide the most traction,
anyways thats my spin on things ,
does it make sense,
it does 2 me and thats all dat matters.
whackenauffe
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: The answer Reply with quote

'whacking off' put it best so far about how after all the calculations the fatter tyre will grip better and such. He is correct in that while per square cm the fatter tyre has less grip (assuming exactly the same compound between skinny and fat etc), the width factor overall increases the grip past the skinny tyre.

THIS IS TRUE ONLY IN THE DRY.

In the wet it is a completely different story. With a fatter tyre, and therefore less weight per square cm, the tyre cannot disperse the water between it and the road as efficiently as the skinnier tyre can, simply because there is less weight pushing the water out of the way. This is the reasoning behind the law which states you can only put tyres 30% larger than stock on your car... because otherwise you will aquaplane rather easily and you are likely to wrap yourself round a pole and die.
whackenauffe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: The answer Reply with quote

yay i was right,
c guys talkin out ur arse is good sumtimes,
brings my attention back 2 someone who said can ppl stop posting there opinions as fact, dont know if u guys remember
anyways, time for me 2 head off
whackenauffe
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: WHO IS RITE IN THIS ONE PLEASE READ Reply with quote

Traction has more to do with friction than pressure per area. A fat tyre has a bigger footprint than a narrow tyre of the same compostion so more friction and more traction.
gem12c
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: WHO IS RITE IN THIS ONE PLEASE READ Reply with quote

hahaha have you guys thourght about tyre pressure?
the fatter the tyre you get the low pressure you put in them.(think about this, what happens to a tyre when its over inflatted and what happens when is under inflatted).
but yes the thin tyre has more grip.
i had 155 on the back and 205 straight after that and both of them wet or dry offered the same grip.
i have found the best tyre size to suit the gem is a 185. no bigger than 195 no smaller than 175.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: WHO IS RITE IN THIS ONE PLEASE READ Reply with quote

Does anybody here know about the coefficient of friction, tangential accelleration, angular kinetics? If you do you can explain why this theory isnt true.

I would but I have a Dynamics exam in an hour and dont have the time to write it up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: