HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Diff setup.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoupEME
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Diff setup. Reply with quote

Im in the midst of putting a v6 in to a gemini (yes im actually doing not just asking can I i fit 3.8 v6 in to a Gemini and how much would it cost for turbo) Wink
Anyway i getting a bit stuck on what type of dif setup to do. I m changing to a commodore stud pattern. Was really wanting to go to lsd but don’t know what would fit?
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff setup. Reply with quote

why not use a cut down VN diff?
CoupEME
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff setup. Reply with quote

dont the gemini diffs mount different because of the torque tube?
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff setup. Reply with quote

yes but a compentent diff specailist should be able to over come that. You could put the centre in and shorten the axles and then place it in the gemini diff to over come this. and you would have the torque tube still
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff setup. Reply with quote

just get a hylux of commodore diff shortedned and fitted with a 4 link rear end.
will cost about $2000-$2500 suplyed and fitted

if your fiting a v6 the last thing u want in the car is a torque tube

im goin hylux once my gemini one blows
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff setup. Reply with quote

i'm interested in all the responses here as it looks to be my next project, and i'm thinking LSD as well. Most people ive spoken to either have a stronger custom made torque tube made at the front as it has the front mounts, and usually some form of ladder bar as well to mount it stronger/better, i was wondering if you could just get a longer tailshaft and make a ladder bar/mounting setup would it be easier/cheaper??? The tailshaft has to be changed anyway with the conversion to a V6 so it shouldn't be too hard. Please email us with what you decide to do and how it holds up when its done...
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff setup. Reply with quote

elkys using a falcon diff, use modified diff then u can get ya gemi to squat on take off like cars are meant to
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff setup. Reply with quote

With any gemini with power you cant have an LSD which will last unless you spend up big. ie $2000+ on a full conversion. Then I would go hilux as they are nearly as strong as a nine inch and about half the weight.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff setup. Reply with quote

Thats exactly what I'll do. And I reckon mine is gonna blow pretty quick.
Hilux all the way.
20PSI TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff setup. Reply with quote

from my experiences cars that squat either have shit suspension or IRS.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff setup. Reply with quote

thats what i recon also
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff setup. Reply with quote

and it looks gay/funny
BOB the chicken
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff setup. Reply with quote

not to be mean or anything but instead of putting a 3.8 litre in a gemini why not just buy a commonwhore and drive that around? after all the shit you go through with engineering and crap your better off just turboing a 4 cylinder
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Diff setup. Reply with quote

i reckon no car should squat and take off i reckon they should just lift the front wheels and be off Very Happy
and IRS sucks for take off
20PSI TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Diff setup. Reply with quote

Irs aint too bad for launching it ain't the greatest though either. my mates fj20T 1600 launches pretty bloody hard If you chuck some standard springs in but not as good as it could with a solid axle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: