HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

engine problems......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: engine problems...... Reply with quote

i have just bolted the 2ltr in to the engine bay and am trying to get the engine to fire. there is spark at all 4 plugs. fuel at the carby... the engine will turn over but not start..... someone please help me...
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: engine problems...... Reply with quote

As I asked in performance forums, does it kick at all? what firing order? are you haven't got the firing order backwards on the dizzy cap (eg. counter-clockwise vs clockwise).

Did you try dribbling fuel down the throat of the carb? did it make any difference..

If you don't give detailed feedback we can't help.
Simmo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: engine problems...... Reply with quote

My bet is that youve got the timing out by 180 degrees, we all do it at least once, check the workshop article and post back if you still cant work it out.

Good Luck, Simmo.
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: engine problems...... Reply with quote

no i dont believe i hae the leads on back to front as i got them from the gregorys manual and the are stamped on the top of the cap... no it deosnt kick at all... the only kick i got was a back fire up the carby... no i didnt try dribbleing fuel down the carby i have some of that start ya bastard spray and was trying that...
Simmo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: engine problems...... Reply with quote

I never said the leads were backwards, If its backfiring through the carb then your ignition timing is definately out, trust me and give this a try it will start i promise.

Even though your leads are probly all right, pull them off so you have access to the dizzy

To set the timing roughly, take out no 1 spark plug put your thumb over the hole and crank engine by hand until you feel compression. This is the compression stroke (just before TDC) which is what you time off. Stop just before the timing marks line up.

Take off the dizzy cap and look at the rotor arm, the ignition terminal closest to the rotor arm is no 1. (undo the tensioning bolt and spin the dizzy so the 1 printed on the cap lines up). Tighten up the tensioning bolt, then hook up the rest of the leads in the right order and you should be able to start your car.

Once running (probly ruff as guts) get a timing light and set it properly.

P.S. dont dribble anymore fuel down the carb it'll just flood.

See the workshop, there is a decent article in there.
hope this helps, Simmo. Post back if you still have trouble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: