HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

performance non-turbo? is it possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhooL
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: performance non-turbo? is it possible? Reply with quote

Im just wondering, what would be a great value for money performance engine for my TD wagon? Id love a turbo, but unfortunately insurance and other things wont allow me so turbo engines are out of the question Sad You can legally have up to a 2.6lt in a gem right? What motors are these? I want a motor that just bolts straight in, but i also want a good performing motor, EFI preferabley and possibly the ability to put a turbo on it later when im off my P's. Thanks Smile
PhooL
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: performance non-turbo? is it possible? Reply with quote

Anyone know a place in Melbourne where i could get a 4ze1 or even a 4zd1?
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: performance non-turbo? is it possible? Reply with quote

Possibly a good conversion halfway for price and power would be the isuzu g200 twin cam. You will need motor and gearbox though.

In order to get it complianced (at least in SA) you will need ventilated disc brakes on the front. That is all you will need in order to get a engineers cert.

Thats as long as you use a standard EFI system and computer. I'm not sure but I think you can run it carby with twins but you may be subject to emissions testing depending on where you are.

The engine all bolts straight in though and is pretty quick. Over 100 Kw stock.

Also note that you can't really just "put a turbo" on an engine. I believe the bottom end of the engine must be strengthened and the engine decompressed to allow for the extra pressure from the turbo. Thats of course is you want to run a noticable amount of boost.
redtxcoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: performance non-turbo? is it possible? Reply with quote

i've had a g200 twin cam in my old te slx,i ran twin 45mm delitos,it was good for 1/4 miles of around high 12s ,low 13s,i covered the engine myself,and didnt get aproval.
the only thing that was a main problem was using a diesel crossmember to bring the motor a few inches forward.and the extractors,u;ll have to get custom ones made as the starter motors on the other side,under the extractors
i was a good sngine,but i forgot to replace the radiator with a torana one and blow the headgasket.all in all id do it again if i could find the engine,
ps in qld the 1800 twin cams r legal,the 2lts r not
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: performance non-turbo? is it possible? Reply with quote

high 12's?????? are u sure? from 100kw? id like to see time slips?
But yer a DOHC izusu motor is the way to go. Bolts straight in, some dont need the diesel xmember, some need a TX brake booster. Youll need upgraded front discs (~$1000 kit form somewhere in SA cant remember where), and run standard comp, with all pollution gear, cat convereter etc.
All up, if you fitted it yourself i reckon about $3000, (1500- motor/gbox, 1000 discs, 500 parts (brake booster etc)
If a shop did it maye $4000?
But do you think you cxould get insurance with this motor?
Im 21 and i cant. Amybe you should just stick with the SOhc versions, and work one of these.
cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: