HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

ok..need advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: ok..need advice Reply with quote

Hey,
ive got about $3500 to spend on my engine rebuild. I want it to be all legal so i have ruled out twin webers. My original plan was to get the bottom end bored to about 1800cc, then get 10.5:1 comp pistons, work the head (oversize valves etc) then puton a efi manifold with a gas research carby on run on gas.

However i dont think $3500 is enough. ??($2000 engine, $2000 gas)
. SO i was thinking should i

a) get the head done (with a cam 2 suit gas)($800) then get tyhe gas put on ($2000) with an exhaust ($300).

or

b) Do the bottom end and head ?($2000) and run the standard carby for a while and save for the gas (i dont think the engine will run to wel cause of the cam and high comp for gas??)

any other suggestions?? (im am keeping the 1600(cause i cant find a good G200)
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ok..need advice Reply with quote

this is what i did....

BOTTOM END WORK:
87.5mm Bore (1803cc)
New G200 Pistons (Flat Top)
Ground Crank
Resized Rods
Decked Block
Moly Rings
Double Row Timing Chain
High Volume Oil Pump
Guides
Tensioner Seals
Gaskets
Welch Plugs
Fully Balanced

HEAD WORK:
Big Port Head
Port And Polish
Cut Seats To Blend Ports
Heavy Duty Valve Springs
Stage 2 Camtech Camshaft

i have the stock carby and still goes very hard...

$2150 including labour

cheers,
kev
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ok..need advice Reply with quote

Twin carbs is illegal? Damn
bill
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ok..need advice Reply with quote

twin carbs are not illegal in QLD! You can put on whatever carbs you want... as long as you meet emmisions that were required of your vehicle at the time of manufacture.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ok..need advice Reply with quote

hey dude i got a niumber for u to call about gemini bits and i have another 1800 short block in my shed ( no head)
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: ok..need advice Reply with quote

Most twin carbs will NOT give you legal emission levels. The jetting and venturis are designed to atomise fuel and meter at peak efficiency when the butterflys are full open at hi revs.
Never heard of anyone running a clean exhaust or achieving good mileage out of them on a street car.
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: ok..need advice Reply with quote

sweet, talk to you next time your online....
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: ok..need advice Reply with quote

Hmmm, interesting, firstly, gotta love Queensland, secondly if you are putting twin carbs on your car you *probably* don't care too much about mileage Alan.

Definately something to look into for my pending performance build.

Robbo
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: ok..need advice Reply with quote

My twin 40s returned 16 mpg (approx 6 km/l) . CUGem gets even less with his sidedraughts????? Enjoy.

PS Stop following me around , you trio of Gay Lords. Hanging off my every word. Ahh, the price of fame..........
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ok..need advice Reply with quote

right. but also something I didn't think about. the carb shop said its not only carbs responsible for this. any sort of a performance cam is probably going to blow your emissions as well, especially hydrocarbons.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ok..need advice Reply with quote

I haven't measured it yet but I used about a quarter of a tank on the cruse. I'll be pessimistic and say 20l, no say 30l. I probably did around 300km by the time I got back. so that's about 10-15km/l or 7-10l/100km. really rough. put it another way, i don't really notice that much of a difference from the nikki, now that I know how to drive it efficiently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: