HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Painty paint paint...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr bayce
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Painty paint paint... Reply with quote

hey i need to paint my gem, im thinking 2pac black but im doing it myself cos i dont want to be paying $3000!!!!!!! and was just wondering if 2pack will work over single pack primer/putty and if anyone has any other info on painting? thanx pplz
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Painty paint paint... Reply with quote

do u have an big oven??????
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Painty paint paint... Reply with quote

if u are doin it yaself, use acrilic! less chance of fucking up , and if u dont have a booth it will end up shit anyways. use acrilic
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Painty paint paint... Reply with quote

im pretty sure your not alowed to paint 2 pac without a booth anyway??? isnt it illegal or something? bad fumes maybe...

shell
Mr bayce
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Painty paint paint... Reply with quote

yeah but ive been told that acryllic is shithouse! and only lasts 2 years max. and no i dont have an oven but i got a booth (at work) ...so you need colour coat and clear coat for acryllic then hey?

p.s. my car is in the last cruise pics (bottom silver with bad paint)
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Painty paint paint... Reply with quote

thats y if u have an oven u can and bake a cake or something for a couple of hours while the fumes fly away
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Painty paint paint... Reply with quote

2pac has (and still does I think) isocynates in it. Its a type of chemical that once gets into your system can cause you to be very sensitive to it and eventually other vapours. Basically it fucks you up!

I'm not sure if isocynates are still contained in it though.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Painty paint paint... Reply with quote

Acrylic lacquer turns out pretty good. Its just there is no instant gloss off the gun like 2pac.

If ou prep well and sand properly between coats acrylic will look shmick.

I sprayed my front wing with acrylic CANS ! hahaha I rubbed it smooth as hell and finished with a cut and polish and its bloody awesome looking for a can job.

Acrylic, you dont need a clear coat but clear will protect your paint. As long as you put effort into your prep acyrlic should come out decent.
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Painty paint paint... Reply with quote

Definatley go for acrylic!

Two part polyurethane paints (2pac's) are illegal to be use be any one without a lisenece/booth with specified ventilation. Whole body /face protection needs to be worn when using these. The chemical in them is toluene diisocyanate and can cause asthma and chemical sensitivity.

Anyways use acrylic as it is much easier to use and will give good results. if you are concerned that the paint will not last, get a proper spraypainter to paint it! (in 2pac even). A backyard job, when done correctly can be as good as any pano shop if time is taken, howver i doubt if you you use 2pac, and in black you will have a good looking car.

Maybe you should consider a lighter colour as unless you have lots of experience in panel beeating it will look shit.
Maybe a blue, red (marenelo red??)or green non mettalic colour will be good for a diy job, with these you dont have to have clear coat (ie cheaper)
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Painty paint paint... Reply with quote

gday mate-i resprayed my gem recently and used acrylic cos its piss easy to use plus it buffs up pretty tidy too! unless you have a baking oven at your disposal,id suggest you take the acrylic route.cheers it up,86SL/E.
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Painty paint paint... Reply with quote

hey man i'm looking to paint my car too. i was thinking a metallic purple acrylic. what do you think i'll be able to make that come out like. i will use a clear coat. if you could give me some directions on how to make it come up real schmick i'd be really appreciative. cheers
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Painty paint paint... Reply with quote

i got me a bakyard job, looked shit at first, but when the cut and polish was finsihed, looked sik as. but acrylic is real easy to scratch, with 2pac, u can stick ure nail in2 it as hard as u like, and notin will happen, where as with acrylic, u run ure hand along it and u'll prolly scratch it.

i done all prep work myself, and a friend of my dad's cam ova to give it a spray and cut and polish. plus my conditions were shit aswell, windy, and only 18*C.

chris.
maDGeMvAN
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Painty paint paint... Reply with quote

Go for 2-pac, but take care with your preparation when using a dark colour. Black will show up faults much easier than if you used a lighter colour. So make sure it is straight!

Acrylic won't look as good as 2-pac either.
Mr bayce
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Painty paint paint... Reply with quote

so you would recommend a clear coat then? to protect it?
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Painty paint ho ho. Reply with quote

I love these painting/panel beating questions. People dont know what they are talking about. Soop and Bisirko are the only ones here who know their stuff, follow their advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: