HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Overbore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:21 am    Post subject: Overbore Reply with quote

G'day,
Anyone know whats the maximum you can bore out a 1600? How many mm or thou can you add to the bore of this motor? I have a friend of a friend who says he bored a 1600 out by 10mm to make the capacity 2L without changing the stroke. That sounds a little much to me... is there really over a cm of spare metal on the cylinder walls?!
motoboy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Overbore Reply with quote

my gems 1.6 is 60 thou over n i heard that was about the most u can go or the walls get to thin, i think 60 thou gets close to a 1.8 im not sure but thats my two cents
cheers
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Overbore Reply with quote

hahaha if 60 thou is as far as they go then im well over my water jackets.
i have a 216 thou overbore making it a total capacity of 1803cc.
A 60 thou overbore leaves total capacity of 1643cc.

hope that helps...

cheers,
kev
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Overbore Reply with quote

u can go on a 1600 up safely is 120 thou or 3mm and i think u might be able to go bigger on the 1800 and i think the 2L is the only one to be able to go 60 thou

and mark m,y bros G200 was sleeved and his cap was about 2.3
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Overbore Reply with quote

a gemini bore is 82mm, a 2 litre bore is 87mm, so you can safely bore about 1.5mm past that, thats 6.5mm total.

The only problem is the 2 litre pistons have different pin heights, so you need different rods.

Ben Wight
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Overbore Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks Ben, that's actually what I thought myself, don't know what these other guys are talking about.

So for anyone else who can't do the maths, a 1600 bored out to the max, which would be 88.5, and without modifying the stroke/crank actually makes 1844cc.

Robbo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: