HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Weber Jets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Weber Jets Reply with quote

G'day,
I've done a bit of searching on here, and found Ben's approximate setting for jet size on a 32/36 weber on a 1600, (140/175 and 140/165).

My questions is two things, one, how do I know how big the jets in my carby are currecntly.

Secondly, I read that you can solder them up and drill them out with a numbered drill set... are there dill bits that are numbered 140 and 175 etc? So then you use them, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Robbo
Phil
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber Jets Reply with quote

Ok I'll answer what I can. To find out what your jets are, the main jets are screwed into the bootom of the float bowl, on a 45 degree angle, just pull the top off the weber, unscrew them, and the number is written on the side. The air corrector jets are between the bowl and the chokes, just screw them out aswell.
About the drill bits, I guessed that a 140 jet meant 1.4mm diameter, I could be wrong but it looks about right. The only problem is finding the bastard drill bits. I've tried heaps of hardware/tool places, but I'm yet to try Trade Tools. Hopefully they'll have them.
Hope I was helpful
Phil
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber Jets Reply with quote

Yep, thanks, that should be enough info to get me started.

We have all sorts of drill bits and such, so I'll have a look if we have one of that size. Hopefully.

Thanks again,

Robbo
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber Jets Reply with quote

Phil is right, the jets are metric, 140 means 1.4mm, etc.

Numbered drill bits are usually in thou, but can be converted to mm as thou is thousandsth of an inch, and there are roughly 25.4 mm in one inch, so you can do the math to get mm.

When soldering jets, first study the shape of the jet. It has two parts, one is a cone about 2-3mm in diameter which leads to the actual 1.4mm diameter hole. When soldering, fill the 1.4mm hole, and redrill it to whatever size you want, but make sure to clean up the 2-3 mm cone or else the jet wont be accurate.

Ben Wight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: