HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

electrical problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davepad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: electrical problem Reply with quote

well, here it is.. I drove to uni today, stopped off to pick up some smokes. went to restart my car, and nothing.. the dash lit up, then died as i turned the key that bit further.. then the dash stopped working even in the on position.. the radio still worked fine.. anwyay i sat there for about 2 mins cursing, tried it again and things were fine..
however once at uni, same thing happened, but this time it didnt fix itself.. Ive checked the fuses.. they are fine.. there was a weird clicking noise that came from the headlight relay box when i turned the headlight switch on (headlights didnt come on) .. then the radio quit working as i tried to fire up the engine, but slowly the noise level came back upto normal, until i tried to start the car again, then it died, then slowly came back to life..
its got me f*cked, sounds like a capacitor problem, but i thought id ask you guys to see if this is ..errr.. common? Smile im thinking *possibly* an alternator.. but when it happened the first time as i was getting smokes, it fired up again fine after 2 mins,.. i.e <2 secs
sorry bout the long message.

thanks

dave
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: electrical problem Reply with quote

similare problem happend to my mates tf, the starter motor cable was shaged out and just needed a new one. try do that and see it it works?...... hope it helps
gene
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: electrical problem Reply with quote

or ya batterys not got enough charge to crank it properly... when i ran my battery flat accidently the tail light relay was clicking realy loud, i could get dash lights and a jump start got it going again..

but then if your alternator is stuffed its no wonder your batterys got no charge so yeah check the batt while you are at it
kickemharder
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: electrical problem Reply with quote

When the car fired up after getting smokes did the charge indicator switch off because if it did its likely not your altinator.

Ben
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: electrical problem Reply with quote

i had same thing

the wires were shagged off thir nut.
Getafix
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: electrical problem Reply with quote

thanks everyone for the tips.. i charged the battery overnight and it works again (hwoever im sure thats only a temporary fix) .. it wasnt just a dead battery.. when everything died inside.. i left the intereior light on which killed the battery.. i dunno.. im just gonna check all wires, check all connections and replace anything that looks *slightly* dodgy.. i really dont need my car breaking down.. its been a reliable little bastard so far and i'd like to keep it that way.
btw anyone know anyone good (and cheap) in se melb i can get some head work done? I got a leaky valve stem seal and its pissing me off, i dont have time to do it myself,
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: electrical problem Reply with quote

the same thing is happening to me as well rigt now. it gives me the shits. when everything cuts out, (dash, headlights), does the horn not work to. caus mine doesnt.
yeah, help would be good!
Getafix
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: electrical problem Reply with quote

yeah my horn didnt work, its a TF too.. it's an intermittant problem as it was working again this morning,.. i only hope itll get me home from work so i can pull it into the garage and do some work on it..
everything apart from the radio (which its still the orgional AM only central speaker) didnt work.. a mate told me to check all my earth connections also which i will try.. i dunno if i find a fix ill let you know Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: