HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Bonnet Scoop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:38 am    Post subject: Bonnet Scoop Reply with quote

I want a serious answer. i going to check with the rta on a few things, but i wanna see if you guys can answer this for me. Do i need any engineers cert, or mod plate if i put on a bonnet scoop? and is it legal to cut out a hole.

thanx guys,
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bonnet Scoop Reply with quote

i think that putt a scoop on would be all sweet wit rta but the cutting out of the bonnet thing wouldnt be
LoneWolf_
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bonnet Scoop Reply with quote

As far as I know, it is okay to cut a hole under the bonnet scoop, as long as :

A) You don't cut any bonnet strengtheners/supports.

B) The scoop's opening doesn't face the windscreen. (Like the old Corvette L88 scoops.)

C) It must be under 10cm's tall.

Checking with the RTA is a good idea though, in any case.

Cheers
Twisted_torque
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bonnet Scoop (in QLD) Reply with quote

I was gonna put a bonnet scoop on myself but it's a good idea to check the airflow where u were going to put it because most are actually sitting in a vacuum if placed directly over the carbie and if u wer doing it for performance it is important to find a place that wasn't in a vacuum.
If u r doing it for looks... no worries... but criteria are.. (sorry I know it is detailed but thems the rules):

-air cleaners and carburettors must not protude beyond the original bonnet profile unless scoop is manufactured by equivalent strength mild steel compared to original bonnet.
-any holes in the bonnet must not substantially reduce the thrength or impact resistance of bonnet
-u must be able to see a point on the road 11m in front of the the point 730mm above and 270mm forward of the junction of the seat cushion and seat back with the seat in its lowest and rearmost position.
-the lower lip of front of scoop (if hornet style) must not greater than 80mm above the bonnet.

for further info hav a look at www.transport.qld.gov.au/driving

if u were interested in doing the scoop for performance then have a look at www.autospeed.com and try to search for an article on where to place air intakes. If u can't find it giv me a buzz and I'll explain.

Sorry bout long post.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonnet Scoop (in QLD) Reply with quote

i heard it was only aloud to be 45mm high in qld?? but im not sure
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonnet Scoop (in QLD) Reply with quote

just take an axe to your bonnet = instant scoopage!..... in a fashion
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonnet Scoop (in QLD) Reply with quote

speed holes!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: