HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

ENGINEERS CERT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g161stroker
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: ENGINEERS CERT Reply with quote

exactly what does it entail in order to obtain one of these things and is it preformed by the same people that do roadworthys???
cheerio hehehe
pjhsv
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: ENGINEERS CERT Reply with quote

No, it's not the same people that do RWC's...There is a list of about 30 or so "Certified Engineers" obtainable from your local RTA that lists the ones that are allowed to issue an Engineers. You have to make a booking with the engineer to put your car in for them to check out, it might take a day or two (or even a couple of hours - depending on what the report is in regards to), my last engineers was for a 308 into a Nissan Patrol, and it had braking tests (10 runs, brake fade and pedal pressure tests), sound tests (decibel level at idle, 2000 & 5000 rpms or something - with the microphone on the road, and teh car driving past I believe) They also check the way the engine mounts are put in, whether or not the chassis is strong enough to hold the weight of the engine, and the power of the engine. Depending on the modification you're having/have had done, they will check these and/or other stuff. For a basic 4x4 V8 conversion, it runs up to about $500, because there isn't much to check (most 4x4's have v.strong full chassis' to begin with etc.) If it fails, and you have to take it back, expect another $500 bill. However, if it's just a bonnet scoop, or a roll cage, it wont cost anywhere near that much...call the RTA, and then speak to an engineer.
g161stroker
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: ENGINEERS CERT Reply with quote

thanx for a much enlightening answer pjhsv and cheers helps alot thanks again Wink
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: ENGINEERS CERT Reply with quote

do they(the engineers) often have any problems with 2L turbo's in gemini's? does anyone know?

cheers
pjhsv
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: ENGINEERS CERT Reply with quote

I'm no gemini guru or anything, but from what I gather, it's a reasonably common swap isn't it?? If so, then as long as it's done properly, no, there wont be problems.

- Correct me if i'm wrong anyone... ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: