HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

leaking boot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoking TE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:05 am    Post subject: leaking boot Reply with quote

Ever since i bought my gemini it has had a really bad leaking boot and the entire boot is nearly ready to fall out. i have got a new seal for it and it keeps the water out until you go to open it. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a way that i can fix the leak. I will probably have to cut out the boot and weld in some new plates because i am too scared to put anything into the boot for fear of seeing it tumbling down the road in the rear view mirror. Thanks for any help.
motoboy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: leaking boot Reply with quote

yeah my te has the same problem but i was scared to carpet the boot cos i thourght it would rot, i have jus got underlay at the moment but i had changed my boot seal n it kept leakin on rainy days n than there was a hole i pluged it still leaked n today i was told it is comin from the rear window n that i would seal it up n it should stop it , so im gunna try that n see if it works
LOK15
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: leaking boot Reply with quote

the boot can leak from several places.
its not just the boot seal, but also the rear window (not just at the base but up the sides as well) and the taillights(the water runs right over them when raining)
A trick is to pull the boot seal off and run neutral cure sealant on the rubber b4 putting it back on.thatll seal that! check the cond of your taillight rubbers, remove n reseal. if all else fails climb in with a torch n get a friend to hose it !!!!!!
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: leaking boot Reply with quote

thanks, i will check those other seals out cos i have been getting puddles on the backs of the tail lights in the boot( the flat pieces of plastic that all the wires and globes plug into ) and the light seals are probably what the problem is. hope i get it sorted out cos i want to carpet it and get it looking reasonable and so i can safely put subs in the boot wothout worrying about wrecking them. another idea: for god's sake don't spray your boot out with that fish oil shit to stop it rusting cos it doesn't work and makes your car smell like shit for months. cheers
pjhsv
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: leaking boot Reply with quote

Try to seal it all first, if it still seems to be filling up with water, get some marine carpet (wont rot when wet), and just look at where all the puddles form, and drill a hole in the deepest part of each puddle. Very crude method, but effective nonetheless
TravTC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: leaking boot Reply with quote

ONe other place to check is the backside of the rear wheel arches. When you are moving in the rain, it flicks tonnes of water up there and gemmis get those seal breaks on every corner joint.
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: leaking boot Reply with quote

Its all good in theory to get in your boot...
but with mine id just fall straight through and land on my bot bot.
wharfie
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: leaking boot Reply with quote

also the seal around the filler neck, get up it with the hose and shine the torch on the filler neck inside the boot and check for drops of water and under the spare tyre, if u have a leak there seal it up with black silastic, thats the only stuff petrol doesnt eat away
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: leaking boot Reply with quote

Petrol will eat any silastic(RTV silicone), whatever the colour. The silicone which is solvent resistant, is quite expensive, about $50 a caulking tube. I dont know what the brand names are. But it is often blue in colour, and used by g/box shops to make gaskets
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: