HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

FIBERGLASS PANELS ILLEGAL OR LEGAL???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g161stroker
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: FIBERGLASS PANELS ILLEGAL OR LEGAL??? Reply with quote

the posts name is pretty much what i want to know can u legaly in vic have fiberglass panels ie bonner boot front quaters? and if your can is there anything special u need to do for them to me legal
cheers
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: FIBERGLASS PANELS ILLEGAL OR LEGAL??? Reply with quote

I would assume that when the original manufacturer first complianced the car and had to do all sorts of roll over and crash tests, then the structural integrity of the panels in question would have contributed to them passing whatever regulations existed.

If you change the material, you stuff that up and therfore I dont see how it can be legal, but why are you worried, if you make it right, no one should be able to tell.

Ben Wight
Poizon
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: FIBERGLASS PANELS ILLEGAL OR LEGAL??? Reply with quote

that and the fact that is everyone aware that it is illegal to run unleaded fuel in a gemini without the fuel inlet's size being shrunk to fit the pumps?? (go figure) and all sorts of other shit... we are all probably guilty of doing at LEAST one illegal thing in a gemini...

Todd.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: FIBERGLASS PANELS ILLEGAL OR LEGAL??? Reply with quote

CRAP!! The size of the filler neck is so you don't run Super or L.R.P.C.R.A.P. in an unleaded car. They would prefer you to run unleaded in an earlier car, preferably with a catalytic converter, so you're not filling the air with piosonous lead.

And as far as the structural integrity of the cars body shell, I don't think that extends to bolt on panels. Lean on the side of your front guard or on the middle of your bonnet and tell me how strong they are. Betcha F.R.P. panels will be a bit stronger if anything. Show me a boat made with the thin sheetmetal that they make guards and bonnets with. Our autObarn competition giveaway Lancer had a fibreglass bonnet and was legal and registered in Vic.

Cheers.
Yonnee.
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: off the topic.. Reply with quote

does your auto barn have in the new pioneer cd player that kinda slides down in three motions? if so whats the cost price? is it good?
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: off the topic.. Reply with quote

Should do, if not can get; Don't know, I'm spare parts manager; I'd have to say "yes", Pioneer are mostly pretty good.
Out of the brands that we stock, Pioneer seem to be the most user friendly, and their lower end units seem to have a few more features than other base models. Eg. Pioneer has cd stacker control in the second bottom of the range. Most others you have to go third or fourth model up.
If you're in the area, come in and see me. But I'm not back from Holidays till 28/6.

Yonnee.
pjhsv
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: FIBERGLASS PANELS ILLEGAL OR LEGAL??? Reply with quote

Bolt on fibreglass panels are a VERY common swap with 4x4's (old landcruisers etc). I don't see why they would be a problem.
BArtyC
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: off the topic.. Reply with quote

Which autobarn do you work at Yonnee?
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: off the topic.. Reply with quote

Cranbourne, Victoria.
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: off the topic.. Reply with quote

Yeah i've seen that cd player man, it's fuckin wicked, it's an MP3 Player aswell, the face changes to 100 and something diff colours i think, and it costs about $799 so Yonnee how much can ya knock off that price for a gemini customer?? hehehe
cheers
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: off the topic.. Reply with quote

i was told *(last year) irt would be about 1500! that mad that its only 800.
WAY2LOW
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: FIBERGLASS PANELS ILLEGAL OR LEGAL??? Reply with quote

only 1 thing illegal???
my whole car is illegal Smile
engine, suspension, exhaust, etc. put it this way, i DONT wannna be pulled over by coppas.
ne way duz ne1 know where to get fibreglass pannels from? as i want a whole fibre glass front end for my td.
cheers
justin
g161stroker
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: FIBERGLASS PANELS ILLEGAL OR LEGAL??? Reply with quote

i plan on doing it with my father as he used to be a fiberglass guy. he says its piss easy i plan on a bonnet and quaters and the boot cause there all pretty simple shapes.
i wanna put a bonnet scoop on it as well would look hell sleek like the scoop formed into the bonnet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: