HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

ATTN: goldtxsleeper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:03 am    Post subject: ATTN: goldtxsleeper Reply with quote

hey man. you gave me some great advice before about the ca18det. i'm sort of starting to lean towards the 4ZCI turbo piazza motor though. mainly because of the engine mounts. i have a few questions which you can answer if you like or if not you don't have to ok. it's just i'm not too keyed up on this engine - AT ALL! thanks.
1. i take it the engine is 2 litre?
2. what kw at the flywheel does it have approx?
3. what kind of turbo does it use and what kinds will it support?
4. does it have an intercooler, will it go well with one if it doesn't?
5. can i bore this engine out? maybe to 2.1 or 2.2L?
6. how much will the half cut cost me? that is - engine, gearbox, looms comp etc etc, all electricals.
7. will the gearstick fit a gemini centre console? you know, on that angle?
8. well i think that's about it actually. ummm. yeah - if you don't want to reply in here (does get a little messy sometimes) then my email is quartermile_@hotmail.com
btw: sorry to bother you but you seem to know what you're talking about and good enough to pass your knowledge on to others. cheers
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: ATTN: goldtxsleeper Reply with quote

A1. Yes 2.0 L
A2. Approx 150 bhp (err 115 KW???) std piazza setup (around 7 psi boost)
A3. IHI RBH5 I think . Small, but hardly any lag. (None if you use a direct x-over pipe)It has water cooling too. I dont know whether the stock manifold will support other turbos, but Im sure there are adapters around for that from the turbo shops.
A4. Piazzas came with an intercooler. USing one is always optional. USing one to cool the charge allows a bit more power to be gained .
A5. Dunno. Never heard of a jap motor that cant be bored a few mm.Why bother? IF you want more capacity, go a 2.3 or 2.6 Rodeo motor and turbo that.However, to make it legal, I think the 2 litre mark will be the max capacity allowed to be turboed in a Gem. Certainly in QLd, and all other states from what Ive read in the group.
A6. Dunno. Call an importer. I would advise against the stock setup (unless you are happy with 150 bhp). You want aftermarket EFI, which will allow you to add another 50 hp without any engine mods by prograamming in more fuel and upping the boost to 12-15 psi (200 hp in a Gem is where real fun begins) Add a minimum of $2000 for an aftermarket EFI, dyno, etc.
A7.I think so. You use a std Gem g/box, but the engine/gbox assembly is moved forward about 2-3 inches to clear the dizzy from the firewall. Think the std console would still work.
A8. No I'll post in here, so that when someone asks the same question next week, we can all repeat the cycle again. Wink
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: ATTN: goldtxsleeper Reply with quote

Nos, don't take this the wrong way, but if you insist on continually posting such obviously similar questions and failing to take heed of the responses, I will ban you just to save myself the time of reading them.

Use the search function, use www.howstuffworks.com, use the phone book, in short, do some research, then ask the questions.
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Thanx Adam Reply with quote

It can only improve this site! I will lighten up I promise.... *grin*.
Sparrow
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanx Adam Reply with quote

yeah...

Why call it a Forum then ?? It seems everyone is getting told to use the search function all the time, so why not just call this whole section SEARCH...

How did most of you guys learn when you's didn't know dick all about cars ?? Show some tollerance towards people who might just be starting out with Gemini's ... give them some straight anwsers on the Forum, or rename it to Search...

my 2c on the issue ....
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanx Adam Reply with quote

nah, i'd have to say i agree with adam on this even though it was aimed at me. the only reason i ask a lot of questions straight out isbecause generally i ask more than one and it's hard to know what words to use in search when you're after info on more than one thing. but that don't mean i'm condoning it - i'm just getting lazy i guess. but i can understand how people are getting annoyed with the same things popping up over and over again. see i don't notice it so much as i've only been a member here for a few months (after graduating to the gemini from the land of rice) and seeing as i'm not generally home very often i miss a lot of the posts, especially in general chat. but i am starting to see what everyone means this week as i'm home a bit more cos my subaru died (picking up gem on saturday morning - has taken me this long to find one to my liking). the same thing is asked over and over. i think everyone (including me) needs to try to consider the search function as not so much of a "search" which means pain in the arse to most people but more of an enormous database of faq (frequently asked questions). so i'm gonna make an effort now that i can appreciate how many of the same posts and questions are coming up.

well that's my 2c - actually more like 202c - sorry bout length

cheers
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanx Adam Reply with quote

Normal protocol in forums dictate that as a new user, you sandbag for a while, and learn the ropes. And part of the ropes is using search. Why do you think it is there?

You should Try giving some lengthy detailed answers occasionally, and see how you feel when you are asked the same question over and over? Are you gonna keep repeating yourself, or refer people to search? Think about it.

At least I try to give people a clear indicator of what to search on, so they get a guaranteed result, so whats so bad about that?

If you are asking us to be tolerant of people who cant use the search function, then you are asking us to be tolerant of stupid people. Ahhhh, no comment on that one.

My $23 on the issue
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanx Adam Reply with quote

i will have to praise alan on this one as i have witnessed for a fact that he gives good indication on what to search for. referr to the topic "piazza?" not far above these posts
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanx Adam Reply with quote

hahah, hey Nos, could you possibly suck any further up poor Alans arse or what!
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanx Adam Reply with quote

hahah, hey Nos, could you possibly suck any further up poor Alans arse or what! Alan, instilling fear in the hearts of weak gem owners! HAHAHHA
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanx Adam Reply with quote

hey man i was just agreeing with him. i don't suck up no ones ass coz i don't give a shit if someone likes me otr not. if i agree with something though i will bloody say it and if i don't i'll tell ya! i agreed with adam too, or didn't you bother reading that one? was it too long for ya?!
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanx Adam Reply with quote

hahahahaha dont get worked up mate, bit of humour thats all.
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Thanx Adam Reply with quote

yeah sorry - trying to dump the cancer sticks and am a bit wired the last few days - i see your funny side trust me
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanx Adam Reply with quote

Well gee Timmy, I better not help you out any more, then, hey, else you might want to marry me?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: