HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

gemini capacity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: gemini capacity Reply with quote

I know this has been said before, but it seems to be said regularly. Half of the time I read posts about gemini engine sizes I have to laugh. Everyone is aware of:
g161z has 82mm bore and 75mm stroke.
g180z has 84mm bore and 82mm stroke.
g200z has 87mm bore and 82mm stroke.
g161z capacity is actually 1548cc
g180z capacity is around 1850cc
g200z capacity is around 1950cc
The maximum overbore ive ever seen in a 2litre is 60thou or 1.5mm. Someone may know of a bigger one but i doubt it cos there is barely enough cylinder wall to seal when its bored 60thou over. Working with the rough size that the difference between a g180 and a g200 bore size is 3mm and that gives 100cc, a 1.5mm overbore should give you and extra 50cc correct? Therefore the largest possible non stroked g200 capacity will be 2000cc exactly. So why do people talk about boring motors to 2.3litres? And if i fit 2litre pistons to a 1600, I barely get 1750cc. And while im sure it is possible, I am yet to see or have proven to me that stroking a gemini motor is possible. People talk about hilux cranks and corona cranks, none of which come close to having the right journal spacing to fit a gemini. So unless you know things I dont, and I know alot of engine reconditioners in queensland, I would pretty much rule out stroking a g180z or g200z.
Be happy with your motor, its not the size that counts, its how good the head is that matters!
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: gemini capacity Reply with quote

Good post, MArk, but you shouldnt say things like that. there are people here who like to dream, and fantasise, and well, a reality check from you can be upsetting!

" its not the size that counts, its how good the head is that matters!"

Hmm, thats what my ex girlfriend used to say!
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: hallelujah Reply with quote

Very well said mark, this exact issue has been getting on my nerves in here of late...
wharfie
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: hallelujah Reply with quote

maybe the post should become a workshop article? hint hint
TX III
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: hallelujah Reply with quote

good idea, we need a decent explanation of this in there!
and mark has done a top job..... well done mate

Matt
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Done Reply with quote

see workshop->engines->gemini engine capacity
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: