HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

sr20DET conversion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikcarter
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: sr20DET conversion Reply with quote

i have a TE gemi does anyone know what u have to do to get a sr20det in... ie engineering problems
psi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: sr20DET conversion Reply with quote

HEAPS of work. Move engine mounts, need custom gearbox mounts, need modified tailshaft, all needing certificates. Need ULP filler neck, catalytic convertor, fuels pump, and the list goes on and on and on.
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: WHAT ABOUT FJ20 TURBO CONV? Reply with quote

going to put an fj20 turbo into my tf (1983), is as much work required? doesn't matter if there is - i'll still do it but just curious.
cheers
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: sr20DET conversion Reply with quote

And for anyone else who asks whats involved in installing a Non Isuzu engine , ditto for all of them too.
psi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: WHAT ABOUT FJ20 TURBO CONV? Reply with quote

yep, pretty much.
Hamal
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: sr20DET conversion Reply with quote

Yes... you will have a lot of problems like the other people said.
I'd be interested if you have to do any modifications to the firewall etc.... I was interested in doing an FJ20 conversion until I found out it was darn near impossible without doing some cutting in the engine bay.... I want to avoid this as much as possible :/
The rest of the modifications seem easy enough to pass engineering, but chopping up the engine bay would surely cause some troubles?

Until then I'm just going for a cheap and easy G180 conversion with some modest engine work to tide me over Smile No worries there matey!
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: sr20DET conversion Reply with quote

any cutting needed for s13 ca18det?
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: WHAT ABOUT FJ20 TURBO CONV? Reply with quote

like I said about 5 posts ago.....
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: sr20DET conversion Reply with quote

no.

It blows me away how many people here cut to get an engine in. The 4zc1 transplant involves modifying the firewall according to some people here. Well no it doesnt! Just mod the mounts properly and get the engine positioned correctly.

To my knowledge,Cutting is never needed for a std inline 4 cyl going into a Gem, if a professional is doing it. Manifolds, turbo outlets, etc, are all capable of being resized one way or another.
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: sr20DET conversion Reply with quote

Gearboxes do often require cutting though. The ca18 box requires a different hole to be cut, no big deal.
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: sr20DET conversion Reply with quote

can we start another forum, preferably even another website for engine conversions i am sick of reading

"whats involved in a..."

or then there is the search function but that just gets overlooked anyway
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: WHAT ABOUT FJ20 TURBO CONV? Reply with quote

hehehe
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: sr20DET conversion Reply with quote

that's what i bloody thought - as long as it's done properly and put in the right possy then you got no dramas. the only time you gotta adjust firewall or cut is with 6cyl
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: NOT EVEN!! Reply with quote

have a look at FJ2047's web site!
theres more fidely shit with the sr but the fj all u need is custom exhorst manifold, custom mounts and custom gearbox mounts. a monky with a banana up its ass could do it!
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: NOT EVEN Reply with quote

its no more than any other engin conversion, abart from the obrviouse paizza and the suck the 4 cylinder nissans r the next easyest,.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: