HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

rotary or piazza
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy c
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: rotary or piazza Reply with quote

alright, theres been much debate about both turbo's but which is the better one overall??? i know the rotary is prolly quicker but its alot harder to maintain! more expensive in the long run...? also the piazza would be cheaper ot buy wouldnt it?? any info would be greatly appreicated and some first hand knowledge!!!

andy!!
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary or piazza Reply with quote

i think a rotary is cheaper theres one in the car parts
forum non turbo carbie for 1100 ith gear box and radiator
take it to a mazfix in brisbane and they will turbo it
put fuell injection not sure on the price for that
but even a carby 12a would be quick in a gem
the last piazza i saw was for 1750 so i think the extra hassle for the rotary is worth it for the result
cheers nik
psi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary or piazza Reply with quote

U can get rotars going hard as, but it all depends on how fast you want to go, how often you drive it and your budget. I have a piazza and got it for $1000 includind the computer and loom, it will proberly cost $350 to wire up, allowing $600 for other bits for the installation (fuel pumps, lines, filler neck etc). Hopefully, with an intercooler, will be quick enough to beat 5.7ltr commodores.
just depends what you will be using the car for, which motor would be better.
have a quick look at these and make a decision.
http://www.hotgemini.com./cgi-bin/gallery2.cgi?action=sv&vid=280

and

http://www.hotgemini.com./cgi-bin/gallery2.cgi?action=sv&vid=157
DaGemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Piazza Reply with quote

Hey PSI,

i am looking a bit more go for my TC Gem. i have been thinking of a Twin Cam 1.8 or 2 litre twin cam... non turbs. what are your thoughts on the Piazza then??? was it hard to do? did you do it your self???

can i bother you to give me a quick run down on the costs for doing it??? ie, engine cost, loom, fuel upgrades, brakes. etc. thank heaps.

Rob, DaGemi.
WAY2LOWatwork
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Go ROTARY Reply with quote

fitting a rota aint that hard, ive done it to mine, ive even converted from auto to manual, but so far ive spent $3k on the engine and driveline. still needs the ignition wired up properly. definatly worth it. mines a carby fed 12a large extendport with rx5 dogbox (close ratio with straight cut gears) im hoping to break into the 13's with it when i take it to a street meet and put in the locked diff and slicks.
im not against piazzas or nething i just love rotas, the downside is that your gem wont sound like a gem ne more and easier for coppas to have a reason to pull u over
DaGemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Go ROTARY.. na! Reply with quote

I love the sound of My Gem. Most people dont think it is a Gem because of the induction noise and the exhaust work i have.

i dont like the idea of a Rotor because of hwo often i will be replacing them. i have heard that they wear down very easily and often and well, lets not talk about fuel consumption...

i think i will head towards the Piazza twim cams. anyone got one they want to sell???

Rob, DaGem.
psi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Go ROTARY.. na! Reply with quote

I haven't installed the motor yet, but done a whole lot of research from this quality site!!!... All up (not including the cost of motor) i will have to spend about $2000 to get everything set up including intercooler. there are a lot of things u have to buy
Custom flywheel
Fuel lines
Fuel pump/s
catalytic convertor
ULP filler neck
Better front breaks
and also pay to wire it up by a auto elec.

With this set up, the fastest you will run is approx 13.5
To go quicker, you will have to spend a lot more. Aftermarket computer, bigger turbo, bigger injectors, exhaust minifold.
All i'm aiming for is to pass v8 commodores with the B.O.V fluttering as i do so!!
Jono
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Go ROTARY!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

dont get me wrong i love gem motors and i love the sound of my goldte but rotary power is a great option if i hadn't bought a twin cam i would put in a rota they only have to be rebuilt every year or so when they have big ports
ie j port bridge port a mild port with injection
would be the way to go 13 non turbo
thats my 2 cents
cheers nik
WAY2LOWatwork
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Go ROTARY.. yeah! Reply with quote

rotas aint that bad on wear, all depends on what u want.... stocky rotas wont have a problem clocking up 150 000k as long as they r treated right. these engines r built 2 rev so like ne car that revs excessively u would want to warm it up b4 thrashing it then warm it down. u should also change the oil like every 5000-10000 k's but like a turbo engine u would probably want to do that aswell to keep it running tip top. a lot of my mates have rotors of all different types and none of them have many problems with the engines. 1 mate has a 12a extendport in an rx7 that he uses as a daily driver and thrashes the crap outta it. hes been doing this for the past 2 years and clocked up about 20000 hard driven k's since hes had it. the engine doesnt miss a beat, duznt smoke all cause he maintains it. i think there are a lot of myths about rotas, about engines just popping....... it doesnt really happen unless the engine is tired or is just thrashed 2 much. another mate has a rx2 with a 13b bridge port, he never warmed it up, never changed the oil and reved the living shit outta it for a good 1 1/2 years and it went bang, but after the way he treated it it doesnt surprise me. ill just give u a quick run down on how long the different engines with ports should last:
stock- ne where up 2 about 250-300 000 ks
extend- not much less than stock (still idles smoth and revs smooth)
bridge- if looked after would probably get u close to 200000 k's
j port- between 100-150 000 k's
periphial port- u would be luck to get 100000 outta one of these engines usually round half that (full race engine)

turbos
stock- later model turbo 13b's are quite relaible as the technology has increased, ive seen some engines do over 300000 k
extend port- still pretty good at lasting

i just love my rotors
btw: i may have an almost complete rotor conversion for a gem up for sale soon (inc. engine, gearbox, tailshaft, sump, ignition, extractors, radiator, oil cooler and exhaust) as im looking at a 13b turbo now Smile

cheers
justin
DaGemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Go ROTARY.. yeah! Reply with quote

thanx for that run down,

well, you know where to go for a buyer. i would be really interested in getting that Rotor off ya hands. i would put it in my TC Sedan or my other Gem i am doing up.

let me know if you want to sell it before you tell anyone else. cheers again. how much would you be looking at for it???

thanx,

-Rob-.
DaGemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Go ROTARY.. yeah! Reply with quote

like i said, i want that Rota!!!

how well wouild it respond to SUPERCHARGING it??? i love the idea of a supercharger and am looking at SC a 2ltr twin cam or that Rotor.

which ever comes up first. OR both. in different cars.

go the forced induction. i dont like turbos and i hate turbo lag.

PSHHHHHHHH.

-Rob-. DaGem.
andy c
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary or piazza Reply with quote

alright so most are saying rotary, whats the running expenses on those like though? i hear hey have to be serviced just botu every month and rebuilt every 5000km??

andy
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary or piazza Reply with quote

read the post by waytolowatwork
WAY2LOWatwork
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Go ROTARY.. yeah! Reply with quote

when it comes time to sell it ill let u know.
supercharging a rotor is a little different than a piston engine, just for the fact that they rev so much and superchargers work as soon as the engine starts so by the time u reach 9000 rpm the charger is running outta puff. its not all bad thou cause what u have to do to get it running is change the puley sizes so the supercharger can take the high revs. supercharged rota sound bad ass, like the rx3 BLO DIS and another 1 i have a clip of they sound super tuff. have u seen the supercharged gemi 12a that was for sale on 3rotor.com? that was sweet, i gotta pic of that sum where.
if u supercharge a rota use a gm blowa for thew fact its easy to change puilley sizes and with a gilmer belt they sound so bad!!!!!!!
if u wanna hear 1 goto 3rotor.com and download the clip of the pink rx3 with the blower hanging outta the bonnet, under 2000 f&r nats video.
with my driveline id probably be looking at about $2500-$3000, but its everything u need except the front crossmember (can be made up quite easily, i have plans). so u can bolt it in and off u go!
DaGemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Go ROTARY.. yeah! Reply with quote

ok. sold!!!

well, good. i am excited about that idea now. sweet. i am just checking out that site now.

cheers fro you ideas.

-Rob-.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: