HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

need to know how nig a box to use for my subs?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 3:37 am    Post subject: need to know how nig a box to use for my subs????? Reply with quote

hi all. i was just wondering if anyone knew the dimensions for a box for a 15 inch sub? what length? height and depth? in centimetres, inches or mm, i'm not fussed. thanks.

i'm gonna have two of these sporting hi power 15" subs (one in each obviuosly),in same box a 10inch split on each side of each speaker (hi power ones, at least 600 watt each). aswell as two ten or twelve inch subs in a custom, glassed in box. all run by a total of 5 amps (1 for the 2 ten or twelves, 1 for each fifteen, and one for each pair of splits). that's all in the back, up front there will be a set of ten inch splits in the doors and two 100 watt tweeters set in the dash. a jensen cd player for now (has really clear sound) and eventually a sony explode head deck. all in a td wagon (as soon as i find the bloody thing!). sound good?
anyway - let me know about the dimensions, thanks.
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 3:38 am    Post subject: sorry, big - not nig Reply with quote

sorry about that, intoxication has crept up on me.

cheers
Boz

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: need to know how nig a box to use for my subs????? Reply with quote

Wow that sounds like a crazy stereo nos. If i was to make a box for the subs and splits I would buy all the speakers first, then put your amps in place ( so you know how much room you have ) then i'd make the box(s) using the speaker dimmensions. just slap the wood on the floor,grab a pencil and start drawing up your plans according to how much room you got and shit. hope i helped, don't think i did though Wink
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: need to know how nig a box to use for my subs????? Reply with quote

hey nos,

sounds like a pretty skitz system u have planned...but there are a few components u have listed that IMO will not work together and maybe will be wasting you hard earned cash

ok for starters, if you can fit two 15's in you boot with a big enough box (read your specs) GO FOR IT! However, you mentioned having two 10's, or 12's as well???? This IMO is not recommended as cancellation will occur when adding different sized subs together and you will most likely not be impressed by the difference of having these two extra subs or not having them....so i would definately not include them

secondly you said something about having 10" splits in the same box as the 15"s??? do no do this as again major cancellation will occur and your 10" inch drivers will be damaged being in the same box as the 15"s....seperate them

lastly, 10" splits in the front would be unreal but make sure you can make door pods that will accomodate these massive mid range drivers...if not maybe look at some 8" midrange as you will probably not notice too much difference in sound...besides size of drivers

P.S... a compromise for not having the two 10" or 12" subs may be to have THREE 15"S!!!! Wink

If anything else isn't clear check out www.caraudioaustralia.com

Later
NeWaZ
maDGeMvAN
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: need to know how nig a box to use for my subs????? Reply with quote

Dimensions for a sub box must be according to the sub manufacturers specifications (must have correct internal volume). If you just make a box any size it will sound like s!@#.

Never mount other speakers in the same enclosure as a sub.
10" splits?? I've never heard of them existing. 8" is the largest I've heard of, but even these are rare and quite expensive. 8's will blend well with 15" subs.

Forget having either 2x10's or 12's as well. Having different sized subs creates cancellation problems. Considering that it will be going in a wagon, you could fit 4x15's!!!

Also, there is no need to run rear speakers in the wagon. Just have a good pair of splits up front powered by a large amp. Speakers in the back will drag the soundstage rearwards (not good).

One last thing. Stay away from Sony Xplod stuff. There is much better products around for the same price. Make sure you get american subs eg JL Audio, Kicker, MTX etc. They sound much better than japanese subs.

If you want to know more or get some opinions, try:

www.caraudioaustralia.com
or
www.fastfours.com.au/forums
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: need to know how nig a box to use for my subs????? Reply with quote

HAHA maDGeMvAN they are some mighty similar posts by u and i

great minds think alike i guess!!

Later..
NeWaZ
maDGeMvAN
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: need to know how nig a box to use for my subs????? Reply with quote

It must be true because I didn't read your post until after I posted mine ;o)
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: need to know how nig a box to use for my subs????? Reply with quote

ok, will separate the splits from the 15s. might just go for that 3 15s idea. it's in the back of a wagon so i'll have plenty of room for it. i'm pretty sure i can fit the pods in the doors but if not i will just go for 8s. thanks man
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: need to know how nig a box to use for my subs????? Reply with quote

thanks guys. will prob go for kicker subs and will consider that 8" option. probably go for 3 15s but see how it goes and maybe go for 4 of 'em. have to decide before i get it all carpeted in n stuff. will have to put some speakers in the back - maybe just one set of splits, not sure but want all round sound not just music up front and bass out back.

cheers
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: DONT MIX! Reply with quote

if u mix sub sizes u midas well not bother will sound shit. also have only bas drivers in the rear of the car. dont put splits up the back will alos sound shyt!
*" splits?? why the reaction time would suck hard cock. go for 6" at the max!!! i have 5" lazas and they are way beter than anyonther 6" split, the respond much faster as well. also what music u listen to?? if its rap and r&b then u will be ok with the 15's but it u listen to dance techno or even punck i would be going for straight tens or twelveS!!!!! a 15" sub will respond slow and wont keep up with the fast bass drum of techno or punk. where as rap music is low and rolling bass the sub dont need to keep up! i have had 10's 12's and 15's know what i mean do u??? hehehe i have 15s now and i listen to rap and even i think they respond WAY to slowly i would rather have had my old 12"s any day!
cheers hope it helped GENE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: DONT MIX! Reply with quote

i listen to rap & r&b and also old school rock music. perhaps i will just have to have 4 12"s? or myabe even 5? have to wait and see i guess
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: