HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

TE Gemini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 4:22 am    Post subject: TE Gemini Reply with quote

Hey all,

I need your help with a few things, as I said before, ive just bought myself an 80' TE, and im just trying to solve some of the more annoying problems while i slowly do it up. So far ive replaced the diff shaft, replaced the ignition, and the front right ball joint (because the thing wouldnt stop squeaking).

first thing, the thumping noise coming from under the car, which I figured was the diff shaft (the cartellege had worn right down to the metal), seems may not have been the diff shaft at all because im still getting the same noise. I have no idea where its coming from. any ideas?

second thing, is there any way to improve the sound insulation in the car? ive just installed my sterio, and i cant here the damn thing over the engine and everything outside. Im going to replace all the seals on the doors and windows, but i doubt that will fix anything except the water leakage and the wind. (i was told that if i rip up the carpet, which i have to do anyway, and i put half inch thick rubber between the carpet and the floor of the car, it will help muffle the sound, but it will be bloody expensive, and i want to make sure its going to do the job).

Is there any way to adjust the friction point on the clutch? the friction point on my clutch is way to high (basically you just take your foot off altogether) and its damn annoying when your sitting at the lights, and your trying to accelerate and you either stall the car or rev it so hard, that when you actually release the clutch you start jolting along.

Also, my heater isnt working... ive heard that the TE heaters were really dodgy, and took forever to heat up and when they did it wasnt even worth it, is there anything that i can strip from another model or car altogether? (ill just take a trip down to the wreckers Razz )

As i said before, i just need to get these things out of the way so i can start working on the fun part, the body and interior. the mechanics of it all is starting to piss me off. I have to try and figure out why my demister isnt working, i cant find any cracks in it, and its all wired up properly, so thats pissing me off to.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: TE Gemini Reply with quote

Thumping noise - check your shocky mounts and for loose play in suspension parts.

clutch - Do yourself a favour and buy the gregory's workshop manual. This one is explained in there.

Sound insulation - I found that replacing the rubbers and laying a good underfelt was enough to reduce cabin noise.

Heater - heater unit is on an open circuit with the cooling system and suffers from blockage if the system has been neglected. Drain the cooling system. In the cabin, remove the hoses to the heater core and the two screws holding the cover plate. The heater core will slide out (may get caught on nearby wiring). Is there any evidence of seepage (white residue etc) If no, use a hose to try and blast the muck out (or a radiator cleaner). Once the core in clean, put it all back togrether and use an anticorrosion coolant (may also want to clean the rest of the cooling system at the same time). If the core has been seeping you have two options - a replacement (new or not) or take it to a radiator shop. They didn't want to fix mine but I supplied a good core out of a kingswood (same core -different tank and pipes)and they swapped the gem tank across.
Phew!
Done
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: TE Gemini Reply with quote

Thumping huh? I'll bet your rubber in the torque tube mount is busted. Get underneath, grab the torque tube, and push it up towards the floor pan, really hard. Does it hit the top of the mount? Theres your thump.

Are the allen bolts which fix the torque tube to the diff tight?
Luke
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: TE Gemini Reply with quote

Ive already replaced the torque tube, the rubber had worn right down to the metal. the wrecking guy told me it was called a diff shaft, and its all in tight. but for some reason it still makes the noise and i have no idea what it is. It only happens just as i change gears and accelerate (as if something is loose and its being jolted forward). Ive been told it could be a number of things, from the sundry gears to the back ball joints

Ive been searching the forums and im going to get some body deadener, to solve the cabin noise, and coat the floor, inside the doors and boot, then ill just put 5mm rubber sheeting to cover it and replace the carpet with the immitation checkplate from marlows (its about $7 a metre, so its a cheap alternative and wont effect the overall weight of the car as its only plastic).

im going to take a look at the heater tomorrow. hopefully its only blocked, i dont want to have to replace it, the wreckers are making quite a profit off of me at the moment.

if anyone has any suggestions about the thumping noise, let me know. (also, does anyone know if i can coat the inside of the bonnet with the body deadener, without it causing any heating problems?)
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: TE Gemini Reply with quote

could be your diff centre pinn my mate had the same problem and it was the pin inside the diff centre cap had been shredded and was making the noise inside the diff matter of taking the cap off 10 bolts and having a look for shredded metal.
Luke
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: TE Gemini Reply with quote

maybe, ill have to check that out. i also just quickly checked it out thismorning, and the allen bolts were all loose and the diff oil was seeping out the joint where the torque tube and the diff join. so ive tightened them right up but im still getting the thumping noise.
bill
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TE Gemini Reply with quote

No no don't thank us. We are just here to serve. ;op
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: