HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Front End problems...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Front End problems... Reply with quote

Hi all, been a while.....
anyways, for a little while now, my front end has been giving me the shits....evert time i reverse and turn the steering wheel, the car makes an odd clunk when i hit the brakes. it also has a squeak that starts up occasionaly on the F.LH wheel, that dissapears under load. was thinking wheel bearings and/or glazed discs.
any ideas? its really shitting me to tears.
thanks heaps.
rob.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: I AM NOT ALONE!! Reply with quote

Hello Rob,

"Every time i reverse and turn the steering wheel, the car makes an odd clunk when i hit the brakes."

I have this exact problem and I am stumped if I know what it is, I've removed and re-attached just about anything... I'm just about to pull the crossmember out and start fresh in a final ditch effort to eliminate it.
mana
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I AM NOT ALONE!! Reply with quote

hey adam i had the same prob found it out to be the lower control arms and bushes were knacked- replaced it and it went away -------note that some fools have been known to put tx control arms in tg and it just dont work they are slightly different and make a clunk on reverse!!
hope this helps >>>mana
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I AM NOT ALONE!! Reply with quote

Why not? You CAN put TX control arms into a later RTS models (late TD onwards), however they were meant to take shorter springs, so you will drop your front end somewhat. They will not cause clunking.

IF you have clunking, either your ball joints are shot, your control arms rubbers are loose/stuffed, or one of the bolts for the xmember/steering rack/control arms are loose.
The other thing is, Ive had instances where spot welds come loose on the body, and they too can make noises, but they are a bastARD to find.

You just have to go over all those things to make sure its all tight.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I AM NOT ALONE!! Reply with quote

My new polyurethane suspension bushes aren't shagged, the bolts are all tight.... as for the spot welds... egad.. that sounds like a right bastard of a thing to try and find.
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I AM NOT ALONE!! Reply with quote

had some siliar squeeks with mine. it was all clean and freahy painted so there were a few things. The stub axle would rub on the disc backing plate as the arm moved up and down. (similar sound to bushes being worn) and the stub would also hit on the bottom arm at full lock making a clunk sound. so i just dabbed a bit of grease on the tip of the stub.

solvered the probs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: