HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Diff
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FJ2047
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Diff Reply with quote

I picked up my diff this arvo. Sweet as. The guy did a great job. $630 sweet.
psi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff Reply with quote

sweet,
did you get any rear brake work done?? like discs put on??
how much HP do you recon the diff will handle now?
did you get LSD with that... recon you can fill me in about what you got?
thanks
FJ2047
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: PSI Reply with quote

For that I got 28 spline volvo axles put in the standard gemi housing, re-splined re-hardened sie gears, kept the 5 stud pattern, new bearings. Doesn't sound like much but things had to be re-hardened and the axles machined to fit the gemi sized bearings. Brakes are the standard gemi pano drum brakes with 4 cylinder commodore drum covers which are 5 stud like the volvo. The boss on the axles had to be milled a little to fit em on though.
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: PSI Reply with quote

for 630 dollars i want more than that theres a gem on the gold coast who runs more than 300hp on a gemini rear end
with strengthend torque tube and a locker
and it hasn't broken yet but he buys gearboxes in bulk 4 at a time
FJ2047
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: zzz Reply with quote

Matthew Spry? He runs shortened vn 28 spline axles. Mine isn't locked yet but will be. Do you know how much his diff cost? I won't be breaking a gearbox too quickly either. My car won't be running 300hp yet.

cheers
Jordan
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: re:fj2047 Reply with quote

i stand corrected the article i read said the only mod
was strenghted torque tube

cheers nik
psi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: re:fj2047 Reply with quote

sounds good!!
where did you get this all done and was that all parts included?? mates rates??
do u think if you decided to get mags, it would be hard to find wheels you like, that fit gemini's stud pattern and have a volvo stud pattern (for the rear wheels) with the gemini offset??
jono
FJ2047
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re:fj2047 Reply with quote

This is a learn as I go project. I am not sure whether or not i can use a volvo, a torana or early commodore wheel. I will have to see. I might end up having to get some made up with the right offset and stud pattern. I have the 5 stud pattern on the front end aswell so I dont have to chop and change wheels. The diff I got built by PDR diffs in Geelong. He has done a few jobs for my friends, and the axles and other stuff I sourced myself, mates rates applying.

Cheers Jordan
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re:fj2047 Reply with quote

Whats the chances of The volvo axles snapping if you locked your center???
FJ2047
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: josh Reply with quote

very little I would expect. The axles are very strong for an OE item. They are apperently stronger than ford nine ich axles, i have heard. The guy that did my diff said they took longer than expected to machine because they were so hard. Because they haven't been shortened and re-splined they are also stronger than if the were.

cheers jordan
ms_gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: josh Reply with quote

could be a prob with the volvo axles being so hard could be too brittle...dont forget a volvo probably wouldnt be running as much hp as you. 2wd toyota hilux diffs are stonger than a 9 inch as well. volvo and commodore both share them same stud pattern so there shouldnt be a prob with wheels.(someone correct me if im wrong there).
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: swedish commodore... Reply with quote

I know of a few Volvo's with V8's in them. One a 308, one a 350 chev, and another with a F**d 302. I think the axles should be strong enough.
The early volvos were the same stud pattern as early Holden, 48/215 to HG. Cant say whether Volvo changed their stud pattern later on.

Jess, you seem to know heaps about cars, what do you do for a living?

Yonnee.
ms_gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: swedish commodore... Reply with quote

i'm a wannabe mechanic but apparently every male that owns a mechanic work shop in portmacquarie reckons because i have tits i can't be a mechanic i'll show them.
jess
cool gem
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: swedish commodore... Reply with quote

cool a chick mechanic who drives a gem you legend! whats your car look like go like etc?
ms_gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: swedish commodore... Reply with quote

it doesn't go like anything now go and read old people shouldn't be allowed to drive? and you will find out all about my gem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: