HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

tailshaft problems!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotty G
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: tailshaft problems!!!!! Reply with quote

i went out to the drags tonight and did something to the tailshaft. the problem is that it vibrates from 40ks to 80ks then disapears. my question is would a complete assembley from a tg fit into a te? any help would be appreicated
elky
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: tailshaft problems!!!!! Reply with quote

the 10 bolt rear end was fitted to all gems from td onwards, so yes it will fit. The only difference was on tg's the rear sway bar was mounted "decoupled" to the body to reduce noise.
cheers
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: tailshaft problems!!!!! Reply with quote

i think you have thrown the tailshaft out of balance as mine makes noise above 40 an hour and yes the assembly from a TE will fit a TG as my TF tailshaft and torque tube is mated to a TD diff
Scotty G
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: tailshaft problems!!!!! Reply with quote

cheers, thanks alot for that. i just didnt want to go to all the trouble of ripping it out of a donor car and find out that it wouldnt line up properly. it shall be fixed then back out to the drags. but this time NO LINE LOCKIES!!!! mates out there said it was probably the same thing that u said. boy did it go thump though.
Scotty G
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: problem solvered. Reply with quote

ok, its not the torque tube, or uni joints bearings or rubbers. on the tailshaft where it connects to the torque tube, not where the four bolts do up, but behind that on the spline is actually bent. beats the hell out of me how it bent there n not the unis. the good thing is its still drivable, but hopefully ill have it fixed before the may 25th cruise!

the torque tube from mine is the blue corse splined one where it fits into the box, the one from the tg is fine splined and red! does anyone know which one is better?
elky
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: problem solvered. Reply with quote

the fine spline is stronger dude
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: problem solvered. Reply with quote

yeah my torque was bent aswell i think mine was from doing dougnuts at the drags....
should cost you about $7 to straighten it at VEEM
greg j
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: problem solvered. Reply with quote

oi scott. sorry if i aint following the conversation properly, but if your in need of a torque tube, u could have mine mate. just sitting in the shed doing nothing....just thought i'd make sure your there for the cruise! let me know either way.
thanks greg.
Scotty G
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: problem solvered. Reply with quote

thanks anyway, if got one of MaTT, (red coupe from the coast), i hope the spline will fit into the diff though! ive also ordered all the new bits to go with it like the bearing n shit. i might even write up a info page for the workshop section, with photos! as there is nothing there n if u dont know what to do its a bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: