HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

10" subs in parcel tray?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: 10" subs in parcel tray? Reply with quote

Just picked up 2x 10" Kicker subs and matching Kicker amp for my TD Coupe - got a custom built solid timber parcel tray. Anyone mounted subs in the parcel tray with success?? Or will it be better to make a box straight up???
SickGEM
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 10" subs in parcel tray? Reply with quote

Momo...

It really depends on your needs as to where you put the subs. I needed the boot space. Overall, an enclosed sub box would produce better bass than freeair subs. I have a set of 6x9's and a 10" Lanzar sub in the parcel shelf and it fits great, also the sounds bloody good. The shelf is constructed of a 14mm MDF shelf that the 6x9's sit in, then I have a small second piece of 10mm MDF sitting on the shelf that the sub sits in. I needed to do this so that the magnet had enough clearence to the fuel tank. The bass produced is great, and the bass also doesn't reflect off the rear window (if you mount the sub at the right angle), which can sometimes muffle the bass.

Have a look at a photo of the setup here:

http://www.hotgemini.com/cgi-bin/gallery2.cgi?action=sc&vid=234&car=6
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 10" subs in parcel tray? Reply with quote

how good is the sound if you put the subs in your boot though? is it real loud and clear or is it heaps mufled? also, can you at all make the middle back seat in a gem come down and put 2 subs in there facing into the cab?
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 10" subs in parcel tray? Reply with quote

Not unless your subs are 5cm deep
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 10" subs in parcel tray? Reply with quote

hahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha
sub in parcel shelf!
hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

sorry just cant see it working well
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 10" subs in parcel tray? Reply with quote

nah, me neither. it just doesn't have the absorbency that abox does, the sound won't be what you're after
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 10" subs in parcel tray? Reply with quote

Momofan!

To mount subs in a parcel shelf they would be running FREE AIR. To do this your subs need to be free air subs because the majority of subs made are designed to run in a certain sized enclosure and will sound terrible if run in a free air environment (infinit baffle).

However if you purchase subs that are designed for this purpose then they will sound fine and deliver nice bass... Free Air subs will never sound as good as other subs but they are made because in some situations it is the only option availabe.

In conclusion i wouldn't be running those 10's free air if they are not designed to be...you wont be happy with the result

better off giving them the specified enclosure and giving up some boot space.
SickGEM
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 10" subs in parcel tray? Reply with quote

MR_GEMI...

Perhaps you should know someone who has done it first. I have done it see first post and it sounds great, and I also have amate who has a box in the boot and I couldn't find much difference.
maDGeMvAN
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 10" subs in parcel tray? Reply with quote

Put them in a ported box in the boot facing rearwards. If you want, put one or two ports into your parcel shelf to let more bAsS in.

A boxed sub will always sound better than a 'free air' sub. That's just as long as the box is the correct size.
andy c
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 10" subs in parcel tray? Reply with quote

if it was mine id run the subs in the boot boxed. u need the inclosure. also in my gemi (1980 TE) the petrol take is right behind the rear seats. at first i thought it would muffle the sound but it doesnt mainly because im running 2 kenwood 6x9's in the parcel shelf and 2 12inch subs in the boot. thats the way to go. but thats just my opinion
Viper gemini
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 10" subs in parcel tray? Reply with quote

Yer i agree sickgem with subs you really dont no till you try it espicallly if your all using different brands.
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: Thanks everyone - boxes it is. Reply with quote

Thanks for everyones input. From that feedback it is clearly better to run the subs in boxes. Next question....one box or two?
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Boxes it is.... Reply with quote

Dave, part of it comes down to the subs. Subs designed to run 'free-air' will ideally sit in your parcel shelf, or on a board in the boot using the boot area as their enclosure. Subs designed to run in boxes are suited to just that. Then it depends on the correct enclosure volume for the sub. "Sealed or ported"? Put simply, sealed boxes are generally smaller and have tighter, punchier bass at lower volumes, while ported boxes tend to be twice the size but make more bass a higher volumes. The volume of the box is very critical for the best sound. One box will be fine for what you want, but try to find the volume specs for the subs. Very rough estimate, you'll need a box around 60lts.

Yonnee.
maDGeMvAN
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks everyone - boxes it is. Reply with quote

If you use one box, it is best to have them in seperate chambers (same size). If one blows you can still listen to the other. If they are in the same chamber, both subs are more likely to be damaged at the same time Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: