HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

import?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim hill
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: import? Reply with quote

i bought a gemini tx and it is way different to normal gems.
it had a different diff (borgwarner)and a different handbrake cable with different cable mounts, progressively wound springs, and these circle engine mounts that look way different to normal. it hammered way faster then this other tx i have(these are shitbox bush bashers) until i pulled out the diff and 5 speed for my road car. why was that car so different to others?
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: import? Reply with quote

early import pre australian assembly,
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: import? Reply with quote

yeah the very first gem built in 1975 they also have the taller first gear ratio too
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: import? Reply with quote

My thoughts were that they were all assembled here but the early ones were from imported body shells, hence the different radiator mount and "arse about reverse" gearbox etc., before GM-H actually manufactured the shells here.

Yonnee.
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: import? Reply with quote

Dont know whether the shells were imported, but you'll find they have a symmetrical floor pan, and the rear g/box mount is located further back (or forward) , both of which is a pain if you want to use a later g/box, or an off the shelf carpet wont fit quite as good either. Also, when txferring an exhaust of a later Gem, it possibly wont fit quite as well either with respect to floor/ pipe clearance. My advice is to avoid them, they are more trouble than they are worth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: