HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Flat Battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Flat Battery Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Yes, you guessed it, i keep getting a flat battery, well i think. I turn it onto accessories and it's got enought to turn the stereo (headunit and amp) lights etc. on, but not enought to fire the engine up. I just put central locking in about a week ago, but it has been fine up untill now. I had jump starts, charged up the battery with a charger, but always about 4-5 hrs later same thing. I thought it may be the central, but that has to be hooked up to constant power...... Unless maybe a solenoid is not lokcing the door properly and constantly pulling on the linkage, do you think?
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Battery Reply with quote

check ur boot light if u have 1. how old is ur battery?
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Battery Reply with quote

All these extra's you keep adding are all of the battery draining type. For starters, what type of alternator are you running ? If it's the stock one, you have a problem there. It's pretty pitiful compared to the amp rating of newer units, have a look at the 'alternator upgrade' in the workshop. It explains the fitment of a Sieres IV RX-7 unit as an alternative and offers heaps more grunt compared to a stocker - much better for the stezza unit. Also, what battery are you running ? The standard ones are probably rated at 350 or so cold cranking amps, try to source one that has at least 400+ C.C.A. Also, double check all your wiring to see if you have an earth somewhere giving you grief.
Just some suggestions to think about...
Cheers,
Jasyn...
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Battery Reply with quote

Run a battery drain test on your battery to see if it's holding it's charge for a start. These can be done by anyone selling batteries. Then if it's not your battery you know it's your alt or other electrical problem.
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Battery Reply with quote

either battery drain or your alternator is stuffed... or even one of the regulators etc

had pretty much the same problem with my girlfriends car...

check your fan belt to.. it might be slipping a bit and not charging the battery all that well so it lessens its ability to power all of your full-sick accessories..

oh yeah and check your brake light switch...might be staying on.. brake lights kill batteries fast!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: