HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Tuboed Gemini's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerryn gurl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Tuboed Gemini's Reply with quote

Hello
My TE Gemini is about to be tuboed I was just wondering if there are many other people out there that have turboed them ?
I'm in Launceston Tasmania and there are not many turboed Gem's down here..( and not too many people interested in them).I would just like to talk to other people that have turboed their's and maybe grab some advice off them ..
Thanks
Kerryn Gurl
Stoktg
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuboed Gemini's Reply with quote

Yeah, they go really well if you build it up properly. My advice is do it asap! Im just annoyed i spent so long trying to get loads of power out of a NA engine, what a waste of time.
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuboed Gemini's Reply with quote

I recently picked up a TD Gemini sedan as a trade in at my work for $1000.00....

It had been fully resprayed in gold (including the engine bay - it's 'really' clean), dumped on it's guts, 2.5 inch mandrel bent exhaust system dumping just after the diff, auto meter boost gauge and a 1.6 litre G161 running a high flow Gattett T3 turbocharger with a very large Garrett external wastegate on a set of very well made custom headers with the EFI intake manifold running brand new Impco straight gas.

Why did I get it for only $1000.00?

I work at a Mazda dealership and the car was a trade in....The motor also had a hole in number 4 piston due to induction system leaks.

I rebuilt the motor (i'm a mechanic) using a G180 as the base this time. The motor has been bored out 20 thou using a set of low compression ACL Duralites to fill the bores with Hastings moly rings. The bottom end from front pulley to flywheel has been fully balanced and Federal Mogul bearings ensure things spin nice and freely. A 1.0 mm Copperhead Copper head gasket is used to make sure the critical head to block mating area is leak free and bullet proof, the cam is a Crane 'turbo' grind.

Boost has been increased from 7 psi (the old motor was basically standard) to 10 psi and electronic ignition was made up using a Rodeo distributor and Bosch ignitor fixed at 12 degrees advance. The throttle body was also modified to allow both the primary and secondry throttle butterflies open at once - a very effective and simple modification.

The result is a car that all up owes me $1800 (all engine parts and machining was done at 'mates rates' as i'm in the trade!) and absolutly flies with an estimated 200 plus HP being generated by the G180 - The torque is just amazing! The car is also roadworthied and registered in my name with 10 months rego....
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuboed Gemini's Reply with quote

Why did I get it for only $1000.00?

U R a lucky f**ker.
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuboed Gemini's Reply with quote

The salesman that traded the car had no idea of it's potential or the money spent on it and said that if I gave him $1000.00 cash The car was mine....Otherwise they were gonna wholesale it!

I drove it home on 3 cylinders hitting 5 pounds boost! (Filled the whole highway with smoke from the exhaust!)

The whole situation was perfectly legit, I just knew how to scam this particular salesman! The car also came with a turbotimer installed and heatwrap on the exhaust system....I've had people offer me up to $6000.00 cash on the spot for the car.

For pics cut the following address and paste it into your browser address bar and hit 'go'....

http://system.unicentral.net.au/~fluid/
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuboed Gemini's Reply with quote

I'm curious as to why you have locked the dizzy at 12 degrees? You should be able to run more than double that and produce a whole lot of extra torque, with the only limit probably being how much timing the stater motor can handle.

Also, I thought that ACL only made flattops? I spose they also make replacement dished 1800 psitsons also, which is what you have, right?

Ben Wight
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuboed Gemini's Reply with quote

The pistons are ACL's of the dished variety that have also had a small amount of the 'lip' machined off the top of each piston to help drop compression even further (roughly 7.2:1).

I fixed the ignition timing at 12 degrees due to the fact that the motor has only done 600 klms and I am still playing with the tuning - I wasn't quite sure what to set it to and upon researching on these very forums I found many Gemini turbo owners to run roughly this figure....The car also isn't intercooled and I have to watch for detonation (not that i've had any problems with detonation so far).

Is your Gemini turbo'd Ben? If so, i'm curious what your timing is set at as I may have a 'play'!
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuboed Gemini's Reply with quote

Wow!

Good job mate Smile

I noticed the ecgi manifold on the engine you built up, what sort of computer is that running? factory or aftermarket? and what parts did you need on top of the stock manifold (eg, piping, rising rate pump? etc etc??)

cheers
Martin
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tuboed Gemini's Reply with quote

The Rodeo ecgi intake manifold is basically used for it's air flowing ability and throttle body only as the car runs straight gas....All pollution gear has been removed and injector bosses welded over....

I'm glad you like the car Martin Smile
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tuboed Gemini's Reply with quote

Hey Fuild,

it looks good, I have a straight Gas Gemini as well in Vic,
pic's on the bottom of the Second page of Modified,( white TE sedan),

How is your box and diff holding up??

Cheers
Eggy
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuboed Gemini's Reply with quote

Hey Eggy....

I've allready looked at the pics of your Gemini and am very impressed....Mabye i'll get an intercooler one of these days! What ignition timing are you running?

I forgot to mention that the gearbox is a 5 speed item that has apparently had the gears put through some sort of treatment for more strength....Both the gearbox and the diff are holding out fine ATM, should be OK provided I don't go bezerk with burnouts and sidestepping the clutch (which is a very heavy RPM item).
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuboed Gemini's Reply with quote

Hey Fluid,

Static timing about 12 deg,

I have modded the Piazza Dizzy so that it advances earlier and removed the vacume advance,

My previous gas system was simular to yours, the change to a GRA carbi was well worth it,

I see you are in Melb, we may have to catch up, are going to the cruz on the 27th??

Cheers
Eggy
tommop
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuboed Gemini's Reply with quote

Last edited by tommop on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuboed Gemini's Reply with quote

Yeah,

What has happened is they have lowered the Octaine of gas to be inline with premium unleaded, so I am told,

but yes you have less chance of detonating with gas as long as you can get eough in the cylinder due to it's greater volume than petrol,

Cheers
Eggy
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuboed Gemini's Reply with quote

I'd like to be in the cruize on the 27th, i'll see how I go as i'd like to catch up.

How much was the Gas Research carbie and how did it fit onto the EFI intake manifold? Were you able to retain your mixer?

ATM i'm very happy with how the car goes on 10 pounds boost as it absolutly flies but i've been thinking about the Gas Research carbs as last I knew they were based on Frankston/Dandenong road which is a 15/20 miniute drive from where I live.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: