HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

TF wagon body problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boog
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: TF wagon body problem Reply with quote

I just bought a TF wagon, in great condition in general.

One thing thats worrying me is a problem with the front end. The bonnet seems to be on at an angle, there is a large gap (2-3cm) between the bonnet edge and front wing on one side and the other side is similar yet it tapers off a little.

My car is lowered, is it possible that the body has somehow bent on the front as a side effect from the lowering. ie : when you turn up a driveway when the weight is on the front left you can hear a bit of a creak as the springs bottom out.

Or is it possible that the car has been in a smash previously and the front wings haven't been put on properly, or the fact that there may be a bonnet from another model of gemmi

Any help is appreciated.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: TF wagon body problem Reply with quote

It could be old accident damage, but it is likely it is just a panel alignment issue... getting the bonnet on straight and flush is an art in itself, plus you can move the alignment of the quarter panels a little as well... have a look how the bonnet mounts attach onto the bonnet and you should get an idea of what I mean.
Boog
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TF wagon body problem Reply with quote

The bonnet can fit down to the latch ok but the sides of it seem to be raised a little, when you drive it almost looks like the bonnet is about to fly up from the slight movement either side.

What do u reckon about the creaking noise when the body weight from the car is put on a front wheel, is it just the spring tightening up or the actual body moving (hopefully not !!)

Oh yeh, if it is accident damaged on the front, is there enough give in the bonnet alignment to re-align it so it fits again ?

(Sorry im asking dumb questions but I've never owned a car before, never mind a gem and I'm at work so I can really visualise all parts of the car Smile )
Blameme
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: TF wagon body problem Reply with quote

Ok I would check if its an origanal TF as if it was a TD and the TF front end put on it then that is why the bonnet dose no line up proply

As for the creak it could be a alot of things spring,sway bar . BUT i have a feeling that it could be the rubbers as i have a mate thats car creaks all the time and well its not ezy to fix
Hope this helps
C ya
Blameme RACING
(Adam)
Boog
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: TF wagon body problem Reply with quote

I think the creaking is coming from the springs, they are soft as hell and are now on my list for things to replace.

Regarding the TF front end on a TD, how can I check if its an original tf ? Also, if it is, is it possible to put a TD frontend on a original TF ? Since I think the td front end is way better looking. I wouldn't mind doing the conversion if it wasn't too hard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: