HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

rocker cover breather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: rocker cover breather Reply with quote

I've seen some nice little filters on some gems in place of the rocker breather hose. Where can I get one from?

In some other photos I see the breather hose pissing off down the back of the engine, presumably to a filter. So why did some people choose this option instead of plugging the filter on top of the rocker cover??
Cheers
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: rocker cover breather Reply with quote

youll find that the people that have a hose running down the side of the engine have it just dangling there; ie. all the healthy emmissions and oil sludge just flow right out.

-woz
Scotty G
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: rocker cover breather Reply with quote

i bought a breather from my local aussie auto store, bout 50 bucks. but, it was originally desgined to be inserted into the oil fill hole. to get around this i drilled out the hole in the middle a little bit, n presto. what a snug fit.
scott
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: rocker cover breather Reply with quote

A filter sitting on top of the rocker cover is fine, but on most big hp engines, they will produce a lot of blowby as cylinder pressures increase. This leads to the need of an oil catch can to catch the oil that gets blown out of the rocker cover with the air, hence the hose coming off the cover going to a remote filter.

If you just had a filter sitting on top of the cover on an engine with significant blow by, the rocker cover will get drowned in oil.

Ben Wight
murph
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: rocker cover breather Reply with quote

i have a roker cover breather filter on my gemini and it pumps out heaps of oil and crap over my rocer cover/bonnet and air vent box i have to wipe it evry coupla days
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: rocker cover breather Reply with quote

Ive got a rocker cover with a hole like the oil filler plug hole, at the breather end? What am I supposed to do with that??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: