HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

TG troubles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: TG troubles Reply with quote

ok first of all i'd like to say how good this site is, it helps all owners of geminis stock standard to full blown street machines, which are awesome... problem no.1 i just bought a TG gemini (my first car) it has a little rust (as most do) and is fixable i'm thinking of doing a custom drop tank/spare mag wheel well in the boot to fix the rust there(chop it out) does anyone know how much sheet aluminium costs p/m and i read on this site that a xp/xm falcon tank will fit between the rails, any other ideas, the reason i want to build a drop tank is also to give room for the spare mag wheel, how deep are the falcon tanks, do they make the boot smaller!??? the gemini is already lowered too much but is higher towards the back and no it isn't chopped. problem no. 2 a mate of mine has a old datto and the mechanic that sold it to him said u can pop rivet a piece of sheet metal over rust holes in the floor and that will pass rego, is this true??? i got 5months before rego time and i will have done rust repairs to the floors properly(new floorpans) by then but just as a quick fix. Problem no 3 as i'm no expert mechanic (i'm still in my last year of school) i was wondering what the hell is wrong with the car if watery stuff is blowin out the exhaust, it's blowing a tiny bit of smoke, but only yesterday did i notice the watery stuff! Problem no. 4 what is the difference between TG sl's sle's slx's and zz/z, i have no idea what model my gemi is!! all i know is that it is a tg july 1983, how can u tell what it is, it's got no badges, it's a carby izuzu engine 1.6 so that rules out the zz/z? doesn't it... last prob- how can u find leaks in the fire wall i keep getting lil puddles of water in the floorpans and the door and windscreen seals are fine... help~!!!!!! much appreciated.... Adrian
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: TG troubles Reply with quote

ummm... weld the floorpan in- it only takes on afternoon and costs a case of beer! : )
the difference is virtually non existant- slight interior changes between them. should be on the rego sticker? maybe.

thats all i know,
pete
redgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: TG troubles Reply with quote

it's not on rego papers ...i'll check the rego sticker 2morrow, thanks!
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: TG troubles Reply with quote

Hey Adrian.

Problem No.3:-
Possible blown head gasket. Smoke could be worn ring or valve stem seals.

No4. Not really a problem...
The difference is the trim levels available on the cars at the time.
You wont find the details on the rego sticker, they'll be on the I.D. tags under the bonnet, the one that says Model, Body, Trim, Paint, Eng., Trans., & Axle.
TG's came in four levels:
8TE69 Plain Jane sedan. (TF front lights and grille)
8TF69 SL sedan.
8TV69 SL/X sedan.
8TV69 (option U4E) ZZ/Z sedan. (also known as rocking horse pooh)

As for water leaks, check the heater core. Also check for rust around behind the kick panels, water can splash up around when the wheels turn. And check around the heater box under the bonnet. Water enters that area through the grilles at the base of your screen.

Yonnee.
redgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: TG troubles Reply with quote

thanks yonnee, i found a couple of little holes in the firewall the last owner hooked up a new fuel pump and obviously decided to drill a hole through to get the wire through without pluggin it up, the wiring is soooo shitty throughout the car, i've got so many wires that do jack shit. that's on the passenger side, i haven't looked at the driver side yet! how does water leak through the vents on the bonnet!>???
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: TG troubles Reply with quote

It's not only water, but all the dirt, leaves and crap that gets through the vents behind the bonnet. They build up around the heater box, trapping moisture. This causes rust to start and then the water leaks through dowm to the floor.
Just out of curiosity, is the new fuel pump electric? If so, they work better 'pushing' fuel from the boot rather than trying to 'pull' it from the tank.

Yonnee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: