HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Installing a sequential shift light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brizben
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:51 am    Post subject: Installing a sequential shift light Reply with quote

hey guys n gals

I am interested in installing a sequential shift light into my rb gem, and after reading the tech artical in this month's Fast Fours mag about installing one of these, I have a query about it.

In the mag's case, they installed it into a MY00 rex in which the tacho is run from the ecu. Since the gem is carby and don't have a computer, can it still be done on my gem and how is it connected to the tacho?

Thanks
Ben

Brizben@hisplace.net
Shark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a sequential shift light Reply with quote

Just buy a tachometer with a shift light, thats what i did, it just wires up to your ignition coil.
Didnt work for me tho, i found the passengers paid more attention to it than i did, so i took it out...

Sam
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a sequential shift light Reply with quote

I have a better idea; use your ears, get a feel for how the engine works, ie when it peaks and when it dies off. That way you don't need a silly light to remind you when you've got 500rpm before your engine grenades.

Also gives you a chance to figure out the best way to go fast without needing to rev its tits off. A shift light in an RB Gem would look absolutely POX IMHO.

Cheers Smile
Badger
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a sequential shift light Reply with quote

I have built the Jaycar shiftlight kit, cost $35, about an hours work putting it together. it can run from points, hall effect sensor, reluctor or ecu with no problems.
Twisted_torque
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: to BADGERInstalling a sequential shift light Reply with quote

I was thinking of using the Jaycar shift light to run a series of large led's up the right hand side of the dash of my TD where the air vent in the TX is. I am not sure how versatile the Jaycar setup is though...

Do your think that the jaycar setup could be wired through bulbs setup elsewhere easily?

Thanks
tha_mad_hatter
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: to BADGERInstalling a sequential shift light Reply with quote

I have a tachoe with shift light and touch set Wink signed by gary myers and guess what the best bit is it cost me nuthen
hehehhe ahahhahah

only joken get a tachoe man
Badger
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: to BADGERInstalling a sequential shift light Reply with quote

I have a TF and I have mounted the actual circuit in the dash to the right of the centre of the steering wheel (there is a gap there). I have extended the wiring for the LEDS and put them in a panel in the right hand airvent (near top right of steering wheel).

the std layout of the kit is to put it all in a box and stick it on top of the dash with the leds facing you.

I replaced two of the std leds with high intensity leds, be careful as ths std leds are 12V, but most leds are 5V, you will cook them and the transistors driving them if you don't put a resistor in series too (about 500ohms)

you could use the outputs to the leds to drive relays if you want, and then have anything (light bulbs, arrays of leds, a buzzer (ala RX7) or even a disco ball if you want)
tha_mad_hatter
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: to BADGERInstalling a sequential shift light Reply with quote

my mate has a 1600 dato and he has a airhorn sound when he changes the point of this i duno and the relevense of this i also dont know but yeah u can do alot
Smile
Brizben
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: to BADGERInstalling a sequential shift light Reply with quote

ok thanks for all the illrelavant answers.

now back to the question
How do i connect the lead for the shift light to the tacho. Does it simply connect to the tacho cable or what?????
murph
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a sequential shift light Reply with quote

this jaycar sequential shift light kit that is been talked about can it be calibrated for a certain rpm range like the T-sport one in fast fours because theres a fair diffrence from 35 - 150 bucks also where is the jaycar kit avalible from (adelaide)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: