HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Traffic Magnet - SPAM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Traffic Magnet - SPAM Reply with quote

Hi all,

I received an email from Traffic Magnet (trafficmagnet.net) which in essence was SPAM. My thoughts are that traffic magnet retrieved my email address from the hotgemini.com, and as a result assumed I was the owner of this site.

If anyone else received such an email, let Joe and Adam know. Joe and Adam (or one of ourselves) should follow this up, as I do not appreciate my email address being mined for purposes such as this.

SPAM is kinda illegal, nasty and generally a waste of time. If my email address was obtained from hotgemini.com, I would like to know how, and would also like to know how we can prevent this kind of thing happening again.

Reply to this if you received this email. It is sent from a Christine Hall, and the subject is http://hotgemini.com.

If this email is specific to me (hard to see how it could be) then ignore this message Smile

Cheers
maDGeMvAN
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Traffic Magnet - SPAM Reply with quote

I got sent it too. Apparantly they thought I was running/owning the site as well... ;o)
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Traffic Magnet - SPAM Reply with quote

i got it aswell
spud
joe
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Traffic Magnet - SPAM Reply with quote

yep, I got it once, sent back a message saying you don't know what you're talking about, and don't spam me again. then I got sent the identical spam 3 times, (to seperate email addresses).

I replied again saying that I had reported them to their host (which i did) and submitted them to spamcop.net
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Traffic Magnet - SPAM Reply with quote

don't even talk to me about it, we have another domain name added to our mail server while I was in Japan and the idiot forgot to turn of open relay, I get back and 10GB of server is full of SPAM,

Not only that but the computer has been forwarding mail for about 5 days and now it crashes daily the (backup system has also joined the crashing party) and an email take 2 days to get out of the office, thankfully after 2 days I have benn able to remove the backlog of spam and get it working again for us,

interesting problem found thou was that Exchange server dumps mail in a badmail folder if this gets over 5GB, you will have fun even opening it let along attempting to delete the entries,

Yes spamcop is a good site, I even found our IP address there waiting for me to confirm to confirm open relay is closed,

CHeers
Eggy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: