HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Spark Plug Gaps + Points Gaps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sime
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Spark Plug Gaps + Points Gaps Reply with quote

Hey all,

I have a 1.6L worked not sure if it has the 1.8L pistons has some head work, standard cam, motivator extractors, TG polution head, cortina 2L webber and 2 or maybe 2 1/4inch exhaust I havnt measured it yet.

Basically I just want to know what I should set my spark plugs at and my distributor points. Im using NGK warm plugs at the moment what plugs would be better to use with my setup?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Simon M
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Gaps + Points Gaps Reply with quote

There was some discussion a while ago regarding plugs. It depends what fuel you're running and how old the motor is. A standard motor should run BP6ES (drop the 'S' if you want 'V-groove' plugs), motors a bit tired and burning a bit of oil should got to BP5ES. Cars running LPG, or PULP could go to BP7ES. By your question you're still running points so the plug gap should be about 0.8mm. If you change your dissy to electronic, run an electronic coil and try BP6ES-11's. Points gap should be 0.5mm.

Hope this helps,
Yonnee.
sime
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Gaps + Points Gaps Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Yonnee, the motor is about 60,000km since last rebuild I usually run Caltex Vortex fuel in it also. Yep im still running points, how much would I be looking at for a electronic coil setup? does that mean a EFI computer also?

Cheers

Simon.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Gaps + Points Gaps Reply with quote

Electronic dissy just means losing the points, nothing to do with Electronic Fuel Injection. There's been a few posts written on the subject so have a go at the "search" facility above. Costs can vary from $50 if you fluke something already done, to $200-$300 for a complete setup from scratch.

Yonnee.
sime
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Gaps + Points Gaps Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Yonnee much appreciated.
Badger
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Gaps + Points Gaps Reply with quote

what gap should you run with electronic ignition?
sime
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Yonnee Reply with quote

Yonnee,

Where could I get myself an electronic distributor in melbourne? Could you source me one? How much would I be looking at spending?

Cheers

Simon M
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Yonnee Reply with quote

Bosch used to make a conversion for the Gemini dissy, but the Electronic Control Unit is N.L.A.
Jerry from Ignition Torque in Bayswater is going to a conversion for me. I supply him a Bluebird series 2 Electronic dissy and one of my old Gemini ones, and he'll make me a dissy. He reckons this is the best setup as the module is part of the dissy and is a good starting point for future modifications that I do to the motor, ie; has the most scope for recurving flexability.
Some previous post had guys putting in dissys from other Holdens such as Rodeos and Shuttles, but nobody seems to be able to confirm from what models. I'd like to hear from anyone who's been able to drop in another dissy and hook it up to work.

Yonnee.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Gaps + Points Gaps Reply with quote

The 11 in BP6ES-11 means a 1.1mm plug gap. (im assuming you didn't mean points gap.) The reason for this is that with a bigger gap, a stronger spark is needed to jump the gap. A coil suited for Electronic Ignition is easily able to cope with such demands. A stronger spark = better burning = more power and better fuel efficiency. Same goes with better leads with less resistance. Less resistance = a less voltage drop at the plug = even stronger spark, etc.

Yonnee.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Yonnee Reply with quote

Yeah I purchased a G200z Piazza dissy for $50 not a problem got it recurved for my turbo setup, and it fired first go,

also have a spare haven't used it yet, and also moded a standard gem dissy to accept the Opto spark optical replacement kit,

CHeers
Eggy
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Yonnee Reply with quote

OK, I'll rephrase the question. A dissy that's more common than a hens tooth! lol
I didn't realise there were G200Z Piazzas. Weren't they all 4Zsomething-or-others?

Yonnee.
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Yonnee Reply with quote

There was the DOHC G200W and the turbo 4zc1 motor
Badger
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Gaps + Points Gaps Reply with quote

>Same goes with better leads with less resistance. Less >resistance = a less voltage drop at the plug = even >stronger spark, etc.

this is not quite true (if you believe magnacoil, which I do) because a spark plug lead is not just a wire. because of high voltages and frequencies it acts like a waveguide ( which I do know a lot about, being a radio physicist)

regarding the plug gap, bigger gap = longer spark = better ignition of charge, but also requires more voltage to cross the gap. I will have a go at increasing the gap (from current .8mm) and see how it goes
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Yonnee Reply with quote

OK

Y.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Gaps + Points Gaps Reply with quote

Fair enough. I'm no electricial engineer. But if a Top Gun silicone cored lead has 10000ohms per metre, and their Heavy Duty stainless spiral wound wire lead has 2000-3000ohms per metre, I would have thought this would lead to more/better spark at the plug??

Yonnee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: