HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Turboing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEMGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 3:34 am    Post subject: Turboing Reply with quote

Can turbo kits be purchased? So does that mean that us home mechanics could rebuild a turbo or do we have to pay hundreds of dollars to the experts? Is it hard to do?
Sparrow
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Turboing Reply with quote

yeah...

pretty much... get a can of carby cleaner, some WD-40 and a wire brush and there are a few simple things to look out for... i've spent the last week pulling apart this turbo, and cleaning and putting back together...

- the banjo bolts that hold the water inlet and outlet pipes on were siezed in real good (they can snap off in the housing, mine didn't with enough WD-40)
- the exhaust housing was also siezed on good (more WD-40 and wait a few days)
- circlips are little ass holes to undo...(even with quality circlip plyers !!!) watch ya eyes
- before undoing the nut that holds the compressor side impeller onto the main shaft (which is reverse threated !!), scribe a line to match up the fitted position so that you don't upset the ballance of the turbo when it all goes back together again...
- pull everything apart CAREFULLY , and note where you pulled it out from and how you pulled it out...
- be carefull what you spray carby cleaner onto, i don't know whether it can destroy the carbon seal or the diaphram in the waste gate actuator
- oil the shaft, and internals before putting it back together so that on the first start up it is not running dry (like doing a cam shaft , ect.)
- don't bend anything !!! obviously... try not to touch the turbines too much... the exhaust impella is pretty tough, but can crack ....
- check how well the waste-gate seats on it's housing and check for cracks in the housing too ... wire brush off any scummy bits... try not to get gritty bits and pieces of shit through the turbo though ...
- clean out all the pipes and make sure you can blow through them all with ease... corrosion can build up in the pipes
- check for excessive play in the shaft... there should be just about no end play in the shaft, but when oiled it should spin free (not like a ball baring or anything) without scraping anything...

that's all i can think of off the top of my head... i'm sure theres a few more handy tips here and there...

some turbo's are beyond repair, so a simple kit won't do... best to get someone to at least tell you whether or not it is worth outlaying money for a rebuild kit, or just buying a whole new turbo... (which can be a lot less hassle than doing your own !!!!)

yeah... so have a go... if you stuff things up .. u know what not to do next time ....

(and some impella's are sharp, ouch !!!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: