HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

NO BRAKES!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heffy
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: NO BRAKES!! Reply with quote

Today when i drove to skool as i stopped my brakes started to grind.
i was told that i need new brake pads.
how much will they cost and how easy is it to replace them myself???

Thanx
Heffy
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Piss easy!! Reply with quote

Cost you anywhere between $30 & $160 for the pads.
Jack the car up onto stands and remove the road wheels. Pop the bonnet and remove the brake fluid reservoir cap, careful not to spill any anywhere, (if you do, douse it with water). Remove the two large split pins from the front of the caliper. Using a large blade screwdriver, prise/lever the old pads back one at a time until you have enough room to fit the new pad, (the old one should just slide out with the pin removed). Keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir, you don't want it to overflow! Once the new pads are in each side, re-insert the pins and bend their ends over slightly to stop them coming out. Gently pump the brake pedal halfway until you get a firm pedal. Top up fluid as required. refit road wheels and you're done.

I had one go to "metal" on my way to Gemini club meeting of all places, my mate and I had it changed and back on the road in less than 10 mins, and that included getting the jack out of the car.

Hope this helps,

Yonnee.
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Piss easy!! Reply with quote

and dont forget to bed the pads to the disc go around the block or for a drive take the car up to approx 80km and apply the brakes gently but not to a stop and do this 3 to 4 times and on the 5th one apply the brake while still driving (EXCELLERATOR AND BRAKE) for about 30 sec and then should be completed..

cheers
FrAsErTaG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Piss easy!! Reply with quote

Racegem
How did u change the brakes when the discs are so fucking hot? i wanted to change mine once but they were heaps hot and I thought about water and then I though that would warp the disc so I let it cool down
Heffy
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 2:51 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the help
will buy sum new pads tomora and give it a go
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot hot, ouch owowowOUCH!!! Reply with quote

Pliers to remove the pin, Screwdriver to lever the pads, Pliers to pull them out straight into the toolbox, and by then the pins were cool enough to touch to replace. Don't need to touch the disc. Yeah and don't water them! Surprised)
I might add, the pads I put in were old ones off the car previously that still had some meat on them. Got me out of trouble till I put new ones in a few days later.

Yonnee.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot hot, ouch owowowOUCH!!! Reply with quote

Heheheheh, we use the same method on these AU racecars I play with, nothing like changing the pads after 40 hot laps, particularly on a day when it is 45 degrees in the shade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: