HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

GT40 Ignition Coil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: GT40 Ignition Coil Reply with quote

I was under the impression i had a stock ignition coil in my gem so went and bought a Bosch GT 40 coil...put it in and found that when giving it a bit of power (3-4000 rpm in fist off a take off) it would start coughing... before putting the new bosch coil in it has never skipped a beat and has ran like a dream...

my first question is What was the Stock Coil on the Gemini????

and secondly if i did have the stocky originally why is the new coil causing this problem????

please reply ppl its shitting me to tears!!
thanx
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: GT40 Ignition Coil Reply with quote

i dont know about the stok coil, but as for the GT40r coil, check that you havent missed anything in the connection-ie what was hooked up to the stock coil, and check all the wires on your dizzy.when my dizzy fucked up, it had the same trouble as what you describe.the low tension lead from the dizzy could be loose, either inside or out.
just a thought.
rob.
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: GT40 Ignition Coil Reply with quote

Umm the stock coil had a kind of RESISTOR looking thig bolted to the top of it and that was conneced to the negative of the coil...should this have been transfered to the new coil or not??? would this be the prob??
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: GT40 Ignition Coil Reply with quote

Yes you need the resistor other wise you will burn your points out, which is probably what you have done

Cheers
Eggy
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: GT40 Ignition Coil Reply with quote

i'll second that!!!!! the gem uses a ballast resistor type ignition, and the GT40r [r denotes the use of a ballast resistor is required]is the coil to use.so, like eggy said, put the ballast resistor[the white ceramic thingy...]back on yer car and get new points.
cheers.
rob.
gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: GT40 Ignition Coil Reply with quote

The Gemini coil uses a resistor.On start up, the ignition coil gets 12 volts then when running the resistor is used and the coil gets about 7.5 volts .If you bought a GT40 and not a GT40R you will need to change it. I did the same trick many years ago and had the same problem. Good luck.
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: GT40 Ignition Coil Reply with quote

Eggy, you have answered this before, but here is my setup:
Elec ignition coil from Jackaroo or something
Coil and module from a Shuttle

Works an absolute bloody treat!
The strange thing people mention is that it has a ballast resistor. Can I safely remove it completely for a bigger spark?

Thanx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: