HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

HOLES IN FLOORES (flinstone mobile)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WASPte
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:11 am    Post subject: HOLES IN FLOORES (flinstone mobile) Reply with quote

Hey all i have striped my gemmie guttles. No engine and no interior. And when i took all the old crapy carpet of i noticed that theres holes in flores.

I dont think i will like the idea of flinstone mobile busines so i was wondering is there a special way of fixing the holes? theyre aprox 10cm in diameter so like prety big.

Czn i use pop rivets 2 fix in a new floor pan ? or do i have 2 weld? Spot or Oxi?

Any help at all would be most epreciated.

.:Vadim:.
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: HOLES IN FLOORES (flinstone mobile) Reply with quote

thats up to you, the guys who do your blue slip wont pull your new carpet up and check so if you really wantedto you could just get a big sheet of metal and place it lovingly over the hole, just adopt a sheel be right attitude and hope for the best.but after saying that itd only take 3 minutes to weld the fukr.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: HOLES IN FLOORES (flinstone mobile) Reply with quote

Well if your gonna do it you might as well do it the rite way.. Get in touch with Rare spares and order some floor pans. Then get someone to MIG weld them in unless you have Big bucks and then you could get them TIG welded in... Either way the new floor pans have to be welded from both sides to pass the pits.

Josh WA
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: HOLES IN FLOORES (flinstone mobile) Reply with quote

One of the first things a roadworthy place will do is put the car up on a hoist, so any bodgy brothers work will be spotted straight away unless you cover the underbody in lashings of sound deadener to cover it up. As long as the car is naked you may as well get new replacement floors from Rare Spares welded in. You'll never have to worry about re-naming your girlfriend Willma Flintstone in the future...
Cheers,
Jasyn...
Hamal
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: HOLES IN FLOORES (flinstone mobile) Reply with quote

Weld in the new floors.

I have the exact same problem and following the rare spares link directly the the left of you, I found they were only about $50 each.. Not much at all to get the old car in pristine condition.

You should be able to hire a welder for a reasonable amount, then it's just a matter of doing it yourself or buying a 6-pack for a mate.

While your at it attack the boot with a wire brush, you might not like what you find their either Smile

I've also found the pillions underneath where the front doors are attached to the car are also rusted in mine, and seeing as rare spares also have them conveniently available I have to assume it's a popular place for rust to occur.

I ain't an expert on this but I assume I'll just angle grind the rust out, the same shape as the replacement parts, and then attack it with a MIG welder. Easy as pie (or so I hope Smile ).
Les
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: HOLES IN FLOORES (flinstone mobile) Reply with quote

Support the Hot Gemini shop and shop on line and help keep this site strong
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: HOLES IN FLOORES (flinstone mobile) Reply with quote

good advice given previosly.....BUT
:if you can find a good welder...i mean the person...they should be able to weld the plates in with an arc welder....
[girlfriend's old man did the holes in my floor with an arc welder....fucking good job too].just make sure they don't blow through the floor-panels with the arc welder. its hard but it can be done.........
hope it helps,
rob.
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: HOLES IN FLOORES (flinstone mobile) Reply with quote

Howdy
I havnt done it myself yet....
My big brother had this problem in his 323i bmw, we cut the problem area out and MIG welded new sections in. grinded, finished sanded.
not hard to do really.
wouldnt bother rivets
cheers.
WASPte
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: HOLES IN FLOORES (flinstone mobile) Reply with quote

I sanded the rust back and holes are not that major as they seemed. but stil prety dangerous 2 leave. so i covered it up in rust remover acid and will get it welded liek every 1 sayd so THANX 4 YR HELP every 1 who answered. Smile
WASPte
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: HOLES IN FLOORES (flinstone mobile) Reply with quote

Thanx 4 advice Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: