HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Conversions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuff187
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:51 am    Post subject: Conversions Reply with quote

What would be the best motor to put into my TX coupe that isnt a holden motor?? i was thinking 4AGE 20 valve or a CA18DET, Rotor etc. etc. How much would this ruffly cost?? and how much work is needed??
Cheers
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Conversions Reply with quote

Some of those isuzu motors are pretty good. Appart from that it usually costs a bundle and a shit load of work is needed.
Hamal
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Conversions Reply with quote

I've been researching this very same subject for quite a while now, I'll give you my current thoughts on the matter.

Conversions:

Isuzu G180 and G200 (SOHC): Very easy to fit, and relatively easy to modify (including Turbo). Very popular mods and you can't really go wrong. Probably the least available power of these options though (please tell me if I'm wrong). ~80 Horsepower? (would like a definite figure on that).

Isuzu G180 and G200 (DOHC): Very rare in Australia (usually import only), parts are rare and costly, require some effort to fit in (easily sourcable engine mounts). 97 and 101 KW's respectively.

Isuzu 4zc1-t: Available in Australia, again require some effort to fit, most power without modification of the Isuzu motors. 145 - 180 Horsepower (australian spec and Jap spec)

Nissan FJ20 (SOHC): Difficult to fit (engine mounts require manufacturing), plenty of power, very tough motor. Very popular mod for a fast four. Can go very fast without turbo. ~180 HP ???

Nissan CA18DE (or DET): I don't know a lot about this conversion, but from what I have gathered the CA18DE is newer Nissan 4 cylinder than the FJ20 (which is a pretty old motor), isn't as strong, but can be just as powerful. Could be quite expensive.

Nissan SR20DET: Again not a lot of info, similar to FJ20 again, but newer. Has a very good reputation.

Rotary: I haven't even considered this as I expect it would be the hardest, and most expensive to fit conversion. (Gear tunnel has to be modified?).

My personal pref is the FJ20 which is what I will ATTEMPT to fit into my project car (if funds allow it) however my second choice is the G180 (DOHC) for ease of installation. If I was in a rush, I'd go the G180 (SOHC) as this would be the cheapest and easiest to do. (generally I hear the G200 (SOHC and DOHC) are weaker than the 180's???)

How much work is needed? Do a search for specific details. I've only really begun my research and from what I know:

Brake upgrade (a serious one for turbo or high power)
Fuel delivery system (pump,etc)
Drivetrain (drive shaft shortening/balancing)
Computer and associated electricals (EFI etc.)
Exhaust (manifolds, mendrel bent exhaust should be considered)
Differential (the stock items are known to die easy)

should, or desirably, be upgraded.

I will also be fitting a complete Whiteline suspension kit.
Hamal
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Conversions Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot the Holden Rodeo 2.3 and 2.6 litre motors,

Apparently they're really easy too (I didn't consider those as you need an engineers certificate here in WA)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: