HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Diesel 5 speed??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: Diesel 5 speed?? Reply with quote

I read a post in the parts section from a certain newly banned member about a diesel 5 speed. Apparently they are different from the petrol versions. Can anyone enlighten me on what the dealio is with these boxes ? is it just different ratios or a little more complex than that ? If it is the ratio's, can anyone please supply me them for this box ? And why someone would want to fit it.
Cheers,
Jasyn...
Corty
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel 5 speed?? Reply with quote

Early 4spd Late 4spd 5spd Petrol 5spd Diesel
1st : 3.51 3.79 3.79 3.48

2nd : 2.18 2.18 2.18 1.99

3rd : 1.42 1.42 1.42 1.36

4th : 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00

5th : n/a n/a 0.86 0.86

Its just a ratio difference i don't believe there any better or stronger than a stanard petrol boxs. the reason for use is in for instance a rally car you want closer ratios and also seeing u drive more in 2/3 gear u want the acceleration and punch out of the corners

Matt
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel 5 speed?? Reply with quote

Also the diesel box has a cast iron center plate which is considerably stronger than the petrol 5spd, and the later petrol and diesel 5pds have bigger bearings,

cheers
Eggy
Hamal
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel 5 speed?? Reply with quote

Hrrm.. so the diesel fits fine, just closer ratio's (which mean more torque, lower speed).

And a little tougher to boot?

I'm no speed demon, especially on the roads, so a bit of low down power for take off's would suit me just fine.

Is there any real reason why I shouldn't go the Diesel 5 speed?
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel 5 speed?? Reply with quote

no.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel 5 speed?? Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up for me - it's appreciated.
Cheers,
Jasyn...
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel 5 speed?? Reply with quote

Can anyone say for sure that they bolt to the petrol motor, ie; "Yes I have one in my car"?? Another source told me they didn't fit.

Yonnee.
Doe
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel 5 speed?? Reply with quote

bolt straight in.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel 5 speed?? Reply with quote

Again, Yes they will bolt straight into any manual gem from TC to TG but you may need the fine spline tailshaft, other variant's of the box are used in rodeo and shuttle and jackaroo and may have the starter on the other side like certain piazza 5 speeds, as far as I know, I bought a Diesel 5spd had it reco'd and it fitted straight in.

Cheers
Eggy
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel 5 speed?? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, good to know. Surprised)

Yonnee.
Badger
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel 5 speed?? shorter? Reply with quote

if the ratios that you have posted are correct, then the ratios in the diesel box are longer NOT shorter, this means less torque and less acceleration in those gears, however, they are closer ratios.

this would be because the diesel engine has more torque that the petrol, but doesn't rev as much. you would get better accel from the petrol box (if you have a flat torque curve).

the diesel box would be good for highly worked engines with narrow power bands, but you would also want a shorter diff ratio (4.1/4.4 would be nice but where do you find one????)
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel 5 speed?? shorter? Reply with quote

Glad to see not everyone is asleep .... Michael
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel 5 speed?? eggy? Reply with quote

eggy, how much was it to get it recond???
what did the recon include?
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel 5 speed?? eggy? Reply with quote

all up supply Diesel box new h/duty bearings, hand lapping for syncro's, replace synchro's on 2 & 3,
I supplied a second box for selection of best gear sets
all up $700.00

Cheers
Eggy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: