HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

rust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gemstylez
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 6:02 am    Post subject: rust Reply with quote

hey guys wot the cheapest and eiseist way to patch up rust in the back doors it not holes yet juz bubles and the boot floor
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: rust Reply with quote

Cheapest AND easiest... I can tell you the cheapest way to do a decent job, get yourself some mild steel sheet, beg/borrow a welder, cut and shape the plates #before# cutting the body of the car, trim the plate so it is a near perfect fit, weld it slowly and allow it to cool regularly to minimise warping. Then grind the weld flush then prep and paint.

The easiest is to use rust repair panels, such as those from the hotgemini.com rarespares shop.
Badger
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: rust Reply with quote

if the rust is just bubbles under the paint, and is really only surface, then get some wet/dry sand paper($1 sheet) and some rust converter($5 250ml), pop the bubbles (press with your thumb) and see how bad it is. if is hasn't gone through panel, then attack with the wet/dry and a wire brush to get the loose stuff out, then put rust converter in. leave overnight, treat again if req. wash out the rust converter, let it dry, paint over top.
Doe
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: rust Reply with quote

Shameless plug of a sponser, well done Adam Smile.
Doe
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: rust Reply with quote

Unfortunely gemini's r very bad for rust and the only true and correct method is removel. The boys at Rarespares have everything you will need. You can hire a gasless mig welder from any hire shop for around $50.00 for 24hrs. Did I mention Rarespares....How's that Adam...
Hamal
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: rust Reply with quote

Actually I'm pretty impressed at Rare Spares for having those rust removal panels available. I can see my rebuild is going to be a lot easier because of it Smile

Now if I could only afford shipping here to Perth *sigh*..
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: rust Reply with quote

Excellent work!!
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: rust Reply with quote

Gind the rust out, clean, hit with rust converter, then fiberglass/metal-fix or bog the barstard.....then undercoat the panel, and spray with matching paint.[spraycans should match..]
rob
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: rust Reply with quote

Yeah i tend to agree with you all but, I think and have done without a prob, Is to prime all rust effected areas with Killrust metal primer after using the rust converter, just to be certain and filler does not allow moisture back to the metal,

Cheers
Eggy
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: EEEEEKKK!!! Reply with quote

Please, if you're going to spend "hard earned" on hiring a MIG, get gas! It's much easier to use and much nicer on thin material.
If your repair is only minor, you can use a product called Metal Mend. It's a K&H brand body filler that's pre-mixed with stainless fibres that will fill small holes. It's available from leading auto parts suppliers such as autObarn. Surprised)
And while I'm at it, ask Rare Spares for a "Gemini" catalogue. Costs about $5 and has listings on all the parts they do for Geminis only; rubber seals, rust repair sections, etc.
......Two in the one...lol Surprised)

Yonnee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: