HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Best motor --(Andrew Whittingham)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2000 8:34 pm    Post subject: Best motor --(Andrew Whittingham) Reply with quote

Hi, i was looking to upgrade my motor in my gem, the old 1600 is a bit tired now, and i have a TD.
I have heard that the piazza 2ltr are a bit expensive.....and the rodeo 2.6 are a bitch to fir??? i have seen a bloke with a 3.3ltr commodore 6 cyl, but are these hard or expensive to fit?????

Thanks
Andrew
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best motor --(Dave) Reply with quote

yeah, Holden red/black sixes require extensive firewall modifications. There's a red TE sedan with a 202 on the 'Net somewhere, and the build photos look positively nightmarish.

There's been much debate regarding the fitment of 3.8 VN V6s in the forum of late. One advantage was the ease of fitment, especially when using a pre-fab kit from Castlemaine Rod Shop or V6 Conversions, but when one person says it's easy with no trans tunnel mods (except shifter hole) and not steering rack mods, another person will say the exact opposite. When I get my V6 in my van, I'll tell you all the truth, but until then, I don't know!

The good thing about V6s over straight 6s is that they're a short engine - same amount of cylinders, but theoretically, they shouldn't be any longer than a 4 cylinder as they only have 3 cylinders in a row. If firewall modification was no problem, a RB30 VL engine would be a killer conversion - they're a top engine.

G180 and G200 SOHC are easiest to fit - they bolt right in no problems - no changes at all - not even to the exhaust or accelerator cable (unless EFI or non-stardard carby are fitted). G180 and G200 DOHCs are harder to fit, but not much. One modified mount is all that is needed - some people extend the standard mount to reach the DOHC's mount, but Adelaide's RTA don't like this, so I imagine the others don't either so some people splice in part of a Diesel mount or something and it seems to do the trick. Go to town!
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2000 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Best motor --(Andrew Whittingham) Reply with quote

What would the prices be on those motors fitted?
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Best motor --(Anthony) Reply with quote

How much of an upgrade are you looking for? I have a mate with the running gear out of his PF60 Gemini twin cam rally car thats keen to sell the bits. This includes twin cam motor, close ratio box, 4.75 to 1 LSD disc brake rear end,engine cross member to suit. Would make a really fast street car. Contact me off group if your interested.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Best motor --(Anthony) Reply with quote

How much of an upgrade are you looking for? I have a mate with the running gear out of his PF60 Gemini twin cam rally car thats keen to sell the bits. This includes twin cam motor, close ratio box, 4.75 to 1 LSD disc brake rear end,engine cross member to suit. Would make a really fast street car. Contact me off group if your interested.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: