HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Lowering??

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevo_dmc
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 12:11 am    Post subject: Lowering?? Reply with quote

I have a TF and was wondering if it is possible to lower my car by my self, just by cutting the spprings!
As appposed to spending money for a kit, or to get it professionally done?
Thanks
Shark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering?? Reply with quote

The only way to go would be to buy lowered springs and install them yourself. I have heard that cut springs are illegal and unsafe.

Sam
IMDGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering?? Reply with quote

dude dont risk your life and car on a set of dodggy cut springs go 2 your local suspention shop and c if they can reset your stock springs or go 2 a couple of wreckers and c if they have ne second hand set lying around but the best way would be 2 buy new american auto parts have front or rear sets from $115 dont forget if u lower the back fit a ajustable panhard rod so the axle doesnt move 2 one side

never ever ever use cut springs its highly illegal and EXTREAMLY DANGERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
linty
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering?? Reply with quote

just cut it ,,,, never had any problem ,,,, its not that dangerous ... just remember to cut them dead even with a grinder ,,, it takes 1 day and saves u about $300....
it maybe $115 but you have to buy the fronts as well ,, and they're even more expensive
Kizza
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering?? Reply with quote

i wouldnt cut em, there has been many previous posts on here about cutting and how bad it is, i reackon u should just cut some from a wreckers or secondhand cause thell be cheap and thell save ya life(wont fall out on da highway) go to the auctions and buy a second hand gem with lowered springs for $20 or just ask on her if anyones got some for sale.
AZZA
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering?? Reply with quote

if u can wheight till the 22end off this im pulling mine out but ive only got front heavy duty lowering springs the back 1s were but it still out handle a my mates xr6
stevo_dmc
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: AZZA!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Hey whats this about lowered springs?
u want to sell them?
when?
how much?
where r u?
thanks
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: AZZA!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

JUST CUT EM, I NEVER HAD PROBLEM!! IV HAD CHOPED ONES IN FOR OVER 2 YEARS AND NOTHINGS HAPPEND, SO HAVE 2 OF MY MATES GEMS AND THERES NOTHING WRONG, IT IS ILLEGAL THO.
U ONLY GET A DEFECT NO FINES OR ANYTHING SO GO HARD OR GO HOME!! IT WIL HANDLE LIKE A TRAIN ON TRACKS IF U DO IT! HEHEHE SIK MAN
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering?? Reply with quote

30 bucks and my car runs out off rego on the 22nd so im striping and seling wat I dont need so if ur still ken by then and it has an rpm cluch it has only been in about a month so if ur intrestd in that 30 50bucks and im in the gong aera
stevo_dmc
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: AZZA!! Reply with quote

Sounds good.
I only want the spprings though
unless you have mags!
where r u from?
Thanks
AZZA
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: AZZA!! Reply with quote

woonona in wollonong
stevo_dmc
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: AZZA!! Reply with quote

ok
well send me a email
when i can come get them
cheers
stevo_dmc@hotmail.com
Hamal
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering?? Reply with quote

This reproduced hot 4's magazine article has some good information on the drawbacks of lowering a Gemini.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/RH_Geminia.htm

There may be some bias considering the article is primarily about whiteline suspension kits however the magazine itself had little doubt about it's authenticity.
GeminiKing
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: AZZA!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

The reason cutting is considered dangerous is that now there is less metal in the spring and it effectively cant support the car as well. This doesnt mean a thing under average circumstances, so unless you go full tilt everywhere, and the car's suspension is getting a big workout, it OK to do. All that will happen is that the springs will compress quicker than normal with time, giving you that sagged look. Cutting them, especially the front ones, reduces the bounciness, and makes the car handle much better.
homofan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: AZZA!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

intersting? How did this old post get here? This guy really knows what he is talking aboput though
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: