HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Electronic Ignition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
henry
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:23 am    Post subject: Electronic Ignition Reply with quote

is it worth getting?
any 1 got it set up in there gem?
worth the money?

thanx guyz
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Reply with quote

yeah my brother and a mate of mine has it. unless u have a really worked engin i cant see the point. but also i wouldnt go out buying a brand new one. it does help a far bit, less miss fires
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Reply with quote

If you can find a kit it's definately worth it.
More accurate than points and they never wear out.
Had an old Bosch kit on my TC coupe 9 years ago, even got better fuel consumption.
Mine was only a very mildly woked motor, cam & extractors, but still beneficial.
You can also then put on an electronic ignition coil, say off a VC - VK 6 or 8 to give you more spark at the plug. Problem is Bosch deleted that kit several years ago. There are other aftermarket kits but I haven't heard any reports on them (ease of fitment etc.). A guy I know who's business is just doing dissy's is going to modify a Bluebird dissy to fit RACEGEM for me. These have the the whole shooting match mounted to the dissy itself so all you have to do is hook it up to the coil. Will be of benefit on a stock motor, but has lots of scope for modifications as more work gets done to the motor.
Lot's to be had from a Gemini dissy, same guy used to have one that he recurved the advance and the car used to keep up with V8's in an otherwise fairly stock car.
SikBlueGemmy
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Hey i know you!?!?! Reply with quote

i know you, i came into (the place where u work) and was talking to you about this problem, and i got a quote for the bosch elec ignition rotor, ended up being like 70-80 bucks
needless to say i use points now
small world eh
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: electric dizzy Reply with quote

yeah i run one i bought a ingitor sieres kit for 250 they help no points boiunce and no burnt poinbt so less money in the long run and they can be hoked up to your standard coiul
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Reply with quote

heres some stuff i posted ages back:
====================================

well, without going into too much detail, the advantages are basically:
1) no need to keep tuning your timing or dwell
2) prevents the need to replace points
3) [some units] help to prevent coil burn-out (when engine is stationary but ignition still on)
4) Better spark at high rpm (engine revs up easier and higher)
5) Better spark under heavy engine load (when you pull out from the lights, you realise how much your cylenders were missing with points)
6) Much better to drive when cold (makes HEAPS of difference)
7) slightly better economy.

so yeah.... i recon its one of the best small mods to do; it doesnt give you a massive power increase or anything but youll notice the difference for sure.

ive got electronic ignition in my TE that i made from a camera dizzy i got from the wreckers... they use the magnetic sensor [hall-effect sensor] and a metallic disk. i used an old set of points and mounted the sensor on it. the metallic disk fits snug over the centre shaft, all i needed to do was make an aliminium key to stop it spinning free from the shaft.

http://members.optushome.com.au/gelfy/utterlymoronic/images/misc/112-1204_IMG.JPG

====================================
hope this helps!!

-Woz
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hey i know you!?!?! Reply with quote

Yeah vaguely remember, get heaps of people in asking questions and I'm useless remembering names, so it's hard to put faces to names/queries. Are you a regular customer? Hope I was helpful at the time.
I think I told you also that of those now deleted bosch kits, the only thing not available as a spare part out of Bosch is the ECU. Funny though, its the same ECU they used for their entire range of aftermarket kits, go figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: