HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Rust?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevo_dmc
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Rust? Reply with quote

I just brought a Gemini TE in Adelaide
There is slight rust which is ok
But under the boot there is a rust hole going through to the ground.
how can I patch this to make it strong and prevent more rust
thanks
Stevo
gemie chick
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rust? Reply with quote

weld a metal plate over the rust then put tar on it.
Gemmy
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rust? Reply with quote

Alternatively get it done properly and have it cut out and a plate welded in there.

The tyre wells are common for rust in Gemini's. I have just purchased my 5th Gemini and all have rusted in teh floor pan and the tyre well.
Badger
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust? Reply with quote

first attack the rust with a wirebrush and some coarse sandpaper ( wet the paper first, helps stop it clogging up)
then buy some rust converter. try you local hardware store, comes in a clear plastic bottle with a red lid and yellow label. this stuff is the best! just brush it onto surface rust and it converts it into iron phoshate, rock hard, it will never rust again and you can paint over it. works any where, under body, exhaust, extractors, you can pour it into the chassis rails etc. cleans alloy wheels up great too.
next weld in a piece of steel over the hole, or if it is small you can bog it up if you want (just make sure you treat the rust first!). if you have welded, more rust converter, then paint over it. all done.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: