HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

gearbox for twin cam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ca18_datto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 4:14 pm    Post subject: gearbox for twin cam Reply with quote

gday all,
I need to know whether a standard gemini 5spd gearbox will bolt up to a twin cam (1.8l or 2l) n/a Isuzu motor. If it doesn't could you reccommend one that would. Thanks!
- Charlotte
Shark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: gearbox for twin cam Reply with quote

Sorry Charlotte, this isn't really a response to your question.

Can anyone tell me -
Does the G180W have an all alloy block?
Would a G180W bolt up to a gemini 3 speed auto?

Thanks
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: gearbox for twin cam Reply with quote

i cant tell you exactly, but on my ZZ/T with a g180w, looks pretty similar to my old gems gearbox. It sits in the same place but i can't really get a good look at where it joins cause theres to much airconditioning shit in the way. My short answer would be yes cause it uses the same remote shifter etc, i just think that the mountings for the box may be a little different cause on the g180w the starter motor is on the opposite side of the engine so it maaay be different. Not sure sorry!
gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: gearbox for twin cam Reply with quote

NO a standard gemini 5 speed will not bolt up to a twin cam engine.The starter motor is on the other side.What you can do is fit the main part of a std 5 speed to a twin cam box front housing.But you need a twin cam box to start with.I have seen a rough job done once where the bell housing was cut around the twin cam starter motor and this allowed a std box to be used.Good luck.
gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: gearbox for twin cam Reply with quote

The g180w is not an alloy block.Do you mean the 1.8 twin cam ???? if so why bother with an auto.
To bolt a three speed auto to this engine you would possibly need the backing plate from the back of the motor from an auto, if it is different to a manual.There should be no other real problems.
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: GEM! Reply with quote

do you happen to know the oil capacity for the twin cam?
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: gearbox for twin cam Reply with quote

No the gearbox from a single cam will not bolt up to a twin cam , starter motor is on the wrong side Smile ... Michael
gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: GEM! Reply with quote

It depends on the type of sump.Most twin cams use the std Gemini sumps so go for the gemini fill amount? how much ???
My sump is modified with an oil cooler, it takes 8ltrs of oil.
Shark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: gearbox for twin cam Reply with quote

Gem, by G180W I meant the later model Twin Cam motor. When you said that "the g180w is not an alloy block", were you refering to the older model SOHC G180? Or is the Twin Cam G180W block made of cast iron?
The reason that I would want to use an auto, is because I don't want to change the gearbox on the gemini that i would be putting the G180W in. I have also heard that the auto box is tougher than the manual.
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: gearbox for twin cam Reply with quote

Autos are really only good for fanging in a straight line ie drag races etc.

If you wanna have FUN in a Gemini, you'd need a manual.

By the way, the SOHC 1800 is the G180Z, so the G180W is going to be DOHC.

By the way, I beleive that a Bellett 4-speed will bolt straight up to a G180W DOHC - there was a Bellett going around Adelaide with one, and it wasn't the earlier DOHC engine from the two door - it was a Gemini DOHC engine.

I'd warn that the Bellett box probably isn't that strong though. I pulled some burnouts in mine and it held on OK though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: