HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Ignition Click?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 1:41 am    Post subject: Ignition Click? Reply with quote

hello pplz,

when i turn on the ignition, most cars, and i think gemini's r supposed to make a click sound from the carby, some little thing pushes some pin out or something. but my tg dun make that sound, it still starts, but no click. the problem is prolly electrical, and if anyone had this problem, and fixed it, could u plz tell me how i can fix it?

Chris.
LOK15
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Click? Reply with quote

As long as it idles theres no probs
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Click? Reply with quote

the clicking thing your talking about is an idle stop solenoid. its purpose is to intentionaly cut off the idle fuel when you turn your ignition off, to stop your engine from continuing to run for a few seconds after you turn the key off (webbers do this alot from what ive seen).

the main problem with this as i found out a year ago, is when the solenoid doesnt work (ie. bad carby wire connection) you struggle to make your engine idle. and i mean realy struggle. it took me fucking ages to work out this; and with a single piece of wire running out of the carby wire loom plug to my coil i fixed it.

if your car idles properly; you dont have a problem. you will realy notice the idling quality (or lack of) if the solenoid aint working.

but if its idling bad youll have to work out wether its the solenoid, the connection, or somewhere else in the loom thats the problem. the best way to find out wether its working up to the point of the carby plug is to unplug the carby plug, and run a wire from your battery (when your cars off) to one or the other of the black-with-yellow-stripe spades in the carby loom plug. one of them should make your carby "tick". if it doesnt, get a new carby. if it does, run an extra patch lead, somehow from this pin while its plugged in, to you + side of the ignition coil (or even better, the non-coil side of the ignition resistor to ensure full 12v power). this will ensure that your solenoid is on whenever the ignition is turned on, hense alowing the idle fuel to flow.

hope this helps!!

-woz
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Click? Reply with quote

yea, i did have a bit of a problem with making the car idle, i could start it, but i had 2 keep up the revvs, when i took the foot off that gas, it would die. i tried cleaning the carby wit some carby cleaner, and it still didn't work, so i got one from the wreckers, wacked that in, and no probs.

now my car starts, idles, and stops perfectly, except for the click, oh, and i did plug it up 2 the battery, and it does click, i had also tried to plug it up to the coil, but it doesn't click off the coil when u turn on the ignition, oh well.

thanks for help anywayz

Chris.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: