HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Regaining drained hp...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:27 am    Post subject: Regaining drained hp... Reply with quote

been thinkin again:

its known to most of us that even though the fan that mounts on the front of our geminis water pump is a fairly simple mechanism, (4 bolts + fan) and may be pretty good for grandma, its not all that efficient for most of us (ie. excessive rpm, burnouts etc). this item can be usually safely removed (?) and replaced with a more efficient thermo fan.
even though, in theory, there becomes more of a drag on the engine from the alternator, the removal of the standard fan vastly makes up for it.

expanding on this idea of removing standard isuzu issue items that can be replaced with more efficient items and gaining power from this, there are (at least..?) three other devices that can be theoretically removed and replaced with more efficient products:

A) Mechanical Fuel Pump (TF-TG models)
B) Oil Pump (?)
C) Water Pump

We all know that most if not all of these devices work fine at idling speed, but how much are they wasting power when your doing 6000+ rpm? I know you can get coolant pumps, and replace the tf-tg model fuel pumps with earlier ones (if you dont like the idea of using an efi pump) but im not sure about the oil... im sure you could connect up an external pickup somewhere on the side of the sump and tap into the oil filter housing somehow... and then disable the pump and still have your dizzy work (correct me if im wrong?)...

anyone know exactly how many hp your fan uses up?

anyone else thought of these ideas or have any other ideas or think maybe these are fucking stupid ideas???

please tell Smile

-Woz
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Regaining drained hp... Reply with quote

I think you're crazy... but so am I so I hope this helps.

Don't use the gemini fuel pump, they are shit, run a proper 12 volt low pressure (vs. EFI high pressure pumps) pump like the holley red/blue.

Davies Craig sell there EWP, it costs a couple of bucks but it can't hurt.

You can f#@k around with pulley sizes to try and reduce alternator RPM at high revs.

You want to disconnect your oil pump... say that out loud just a couple of times....

You #could# dry sump your engine with an electric pump, we are talking serious $$$$ though, you need a remote tank, big lines, an external oil pump, remote oil filter mount or sandwich plate... for the amount of money it would cost you could build a decent go fast motor.

Now, keep in mind if you start running twin thermofans, an EWP and possible a booster pump for your heater, an electric fuel pump, an electric oil pump AND you reduce the pulley size on a stocko alternator you will almost certainly be pulling more amperage than the alternator can put out... which is ok for short periods as it can all just run of the battery... if you upgrade your alternator to cope with this, you will put more load on your engine and you are back to step one...

For what it is worth... I wouldn't bother.
Turbo_Gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Regaining drained hp... Reply with quote

ewp`s r good,and you could possibly run an electric oil pump without doing a complete dry sump conversion,just blank off the mechanical pump somehow & run an external oil filter kit with a pump along the line somewhere.personally i wouldnt bother tho. too complex & reliability becomes an issue.i wouldnt bother with downsizing the alt pulley, u could just turn off the alternator exciter feed when under wide open throttle(they rely on power fed to the stator to operate), there was an article in hot 4s or fast 4s on how to do this, sorry cant remember which issue.and engine fans supposedly drain about 5 hp (depending on fan size) hope i`ve been a help..
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Regaining drained hp... Reply with quote

Ok Guys I usually just lurk here but I cant keep my mouth shut... You are all missing the VERY reason you change to an electric version (fan water pump etc.) All these things are designed to run at their higest efficiency at ONE SPEED, not over a range of 6000 rpm thats why they work so well. A 120 amp Alternator at full load is only 2.2 HP. The water pump alone is about 6 HP at 7000 RPM then you got the fan ETC. Now since I bet NONE of you guys have a 120 amp alternater then stop worrying about a pissy bit of extra load on the motor to drive the alternator. As for the electric oil pump they are avaiable, but for gearboxs and diffs. the reason is the SAME again, because the pumps run at ONE speed, which I am sorry to say is NOT what your engine wants. it needs an oil supply that increases with engine speed and load. So to go over it, put as much as you can through the alternator but give the idea of the electric oil pump the flick ... Michael
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Regaining drained hp... Reply with quote

Slug,

I wasn't missing the point, I know and recognise the folly of his plans, but to destroy the poor boys dreams.... I don't have the heart.
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Regaining drained hp... Reply with quote

it was only an idea that passed through my head the other night that i thought id post to see what people thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: