HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

SUBS Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2001 7:46 pm    Post subject: SUBS Advice Reply with quote

ok i'm thinking about getting a 12inch dls sub in a box just a clasic pro but i'm looking at $450 i would like to send less but i was wondering if any one knew how much watts the boss 12 inch subs are because i saw in the strathfield catalog where there is 2 12inch boss subs in a box with neon lights for $250 i i'll be saving up for an amp but only want to spend $200 or less so what would you all recomend
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2001 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: SUBS Advice Reply with quote

bridge a 2 channel jaycar amp and use it on one sub. won't cost you much over $200 and u are getting good quality stuff good sound etc. you could get a dodgy little no namer brand but if you ever need spares or anything you're screwed. i've got a few different 4 channels in my car and the jaycar is probly the best, maybe not the loudest but the clearest and has good efficiency.

have a look at the jaycar site...

www.jaycar.com.au
Broomy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2001 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: SUBS Advice Reply with quote

those boss subs are friggin shit pal....
the response amps from jaycar are excellent as martin has said, and you wont be dissapointed with one...
But back to those premade boxed subs sold as scamfields... those boxes are made with 12mm chip board and have the dodgiest worst sized ports (which are really just holes in the box not tuned length ports) in them.. the subs are poor quality.. You are better off going and getting a kicker sub or alike for around the 200 mark and making a box yourself out of 18 mm MDF.. Just make the box to the measurements that it says in the manual.. Couldnt be easier.. But dont buy that sub and box package from scamfield, they suk!!!!
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2001 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: SUBS Advice Reply with quote

how about $550 bucks for a SINGLE 12 inch sub with dual ports that looks strangely small for a speaker that size

anyways yeah

drive in and walk away cause u had to sell your car and house and dog to pay for the system you just bought...

hrmm..
CopBait
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 9:53 pm    Post subject: Boss Audio subs and Box Reply with quote

Hey, was just wondering, are you sure that the box from strathfield is all cheap shit? i know the subs are, but the box itself...was just wondering, coz i want one for my TE Gemmi, and was wondering if the bass is just all crackly and shit or if it just isn't like a competition box? any help appreciated
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Boss Audio subs and Box Reply with quote

Its not really that they sound shit

they are just REALLY over priced, or realy bad quality which usually means the speakers and amps just aren't very efficient. This means that if you put a whole lot of power into the amp you won't get a whole lot of power out of it, lots of it eaten up as heat etc. Also with the speakers you can put alot of power into them but not get much SPL. Good quality stuff means you'll end up getting more volume and clarity from the same amount of power input.

and yeah, you wouldn't relaly wanna buy pro competition stuff from strathfield cause they aren't really aimed at that market.
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: SUBS Advice Reply with quote

my advice...
save and get the 12" DLS, in box, then purchase a 100X2 Altec "depthcharge" amp, u can get the amp for $139 if you are a platinum card holder with strathfield, $159 otherwise, they are a lot better than the equivalent jaycar amps (as said in hot 4s).
i have one of those powering my rockford 12" and the sound is a whole lot better than that jaycar rubbish (which is now sitting on a shelf at cash converters!!)

kev
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: SUBS Advice Reply with quote

my advice...
save and get the 12" DLS, in box, then purchase a 100X2 Altec "depthcharge" amp, u can get the amp for $139 if you are a platinum card holder with strathfield, $159 otherwise, they are a lot better than the equivalent jaycar amps (as said in hot 4s).
i have one of those powering my rockford 12" and the sound is a whole lot better than that jaycar rubbish (which is now sitting on a shelf at cash converters!!)

kev
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Boss Audio subs and Box Reply with quote

I really wish people would do some research before sayin any old thing. In a recent test performed by Curt Dupriez - renowned Summernats Audio judge, the boss amp came out best value for money and with one of the highest efficiency ratings over many of the "high end" amps.

I actually have a 2 channel BOSS running a JBL GT 12.
It's pumping out a tested 208.3 watts from a 320 peak bridged. It has good clean sound. Strathfield also have nokia phones, doesn't mean that the phone is crap.
Just my 2c.
CopBait
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Boss Audio subs and Box Reply with quote

Ok, so can anyone give me a direct answer about whether or not the sub box with the 2 boss audio subs that is advertised in the latest strathfield catolouge is a complete waste of money at $249? i will be running the subs off a clarion V-Net amp, i don't a 160db competition stereo, i just want something nice and reasonably bassy. So is this ok or not? coz they are gonna call me back about it on wednesday and i need an answer. Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: