HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Torque tube shims?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mal
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 1:04 am    Post subject: Torque tube shims? Reply with quote

Hey there, I was wondering if anyone knows of a place where they can shim up my torque tube to give the correct pinion angle. I live on the south side of Brisbane. Or is there any other way of getting rid of a vibration when accelerating. Thanx all help appreciated.
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque tube shims? Reply with quote

Between the crossmember and the floor there are two metal shims, roughly 9mm in thickness (from memory).
I found two pieces of 2-3mm rubber mat (about the same size as shims), and drilled bolt holes through them.
I then put the rubber mats between the body and the crossmember, and switched the shims to the bolt side of the crossmember, to keep the bolt length correct. Voila!

It seemed to make a little difference in driveline accuracy and also helped remove an annoying vibe around 108-110kmh.

PS, Whiteline sell this very mod for a price, unsure what their 'kit' includes...
Mal
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque tube shims? Reply with quote

Thanx heaps, I had a little trouble cause one of the bolt holes was stripped from the last person who put the torque tube in.I had to put a nut on the inside underneath the back seat. (a huge hassle) But it still works fine. I still have the same vibration while powering down in 3rd gear. I'll have to look at a stock gem to see what an untouched set-up looks like. But thanx for the idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: