HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

GearBox Conversion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kernal Clink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 11:01 pm    Post subject: GearBox Conversion Reply with quote

Hey ppl,
this is my first post i juz got a gemmi te auto Sad only 30,000 Smile lucky me but i want to change it to manual now all i want to know is what i need and basically is it hard. My friend DjSimmo who i like to call "the brain" said it shouldnt be hard but then some guy i called mentioned somthing about the flywheel when i told simmo this he said it will be a ball breaker so plz plz everyone help me i need this to be worked out like now juz tell me what i need to buy ppl

Thanks all

Kernal Clink
rotorgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: GearBox Conversion Reply with quote

firstly are you shaw the 30 000 is not the second time around, just asking and to change from auto to manual you need all the bits off a manual like pedals clutch set up flywheel box and maybe tail shaft (not sure) then throw it all in takes a bit of time if you never pulled a box out before it will be and experience for u make sure you have someone who knows what they are doing with you. Anyone wanna add
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: GearBox Conversion Reply with quote

Spigot bearing
Flywheel
Clutch pressure plate
Clutch driven plate
Clutch engagement bearing
New flywheel bolts
New clutch plate bolts
Clutch cable
Speedo cable
Some wire and connectors for the starter wire and reverse lights
An angle grinder to enlarge the shifter hole
A mig welder to weld over the bit you aren't using anymore
some metal to weld in
Clutch pedal
Manual centre console
Gearlever surround boot
Rubber surround for the gearlever and the quadrant box
New bolts, nuts and washers for the tailshaft
New bolts for the gearbox crossmember
A gearbox and tailshaft (the auto one is different)
Gearbox oil

(I don't think I missed anything... but feel free to add to the list)
MattTx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: GearBox Conversion Reply with quote

Seeing how this is a fairly common question in the forums, it would probably be a good peice for the workshop section, saves ppl having to answer the question weekly.
FrAsErTaG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: GearBox Conversion Reply with quote

Hey
my mate got that TD for $50 and all he wants is the exaust the rest of the car is mine.. and I been drivin it around (yes it runs pretty good for $50) and getting used to the manuel. I was thinking will all the TD parts fit into the TE eg clutch box and shit?
Will a stock clutch hold up to my engine?
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GearBox Conversion Reply with quote

If your going to buy new bolts make sure they're high tensile ones. The Champion brand that comes on the revolvingracks at he hardware store are fine, just get the right lenght and shaft size. The high tensile ones are usually anodised a goldish colour in the Champion range. Even a fasteners place will be able to help.
Bajjada
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: GearBox Conversion Reply with quote

all the TE gear will run on the TD(vice versa) i just did my TD auto to manual conversion the other week, no worries.
But i changed the whole engine and box at the same time.wiring was the hardest thing for me!!got it goin tho
JFK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: GearBox Conversion Reply with quote

were u from i have a 5 speed and conversion kit for sale in nsw if u want
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GearBox Conversion Reply with quote

Yep, shouldn't be a problem, don't give the clutch too much of a hard time (no 6000rpm clutch dumps) but I only ever ran a stock clutch with that motor in gertrude.

The gearbox will fit fine, you could consider fitting the TE cluster into the TD dash, I prefer to 'two circle' ones to the 'three circle' ones.
Kernal Clink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: GearBox Conversion Reply with quote

for sure man its been sitting in the garage it was my gandmums, basically new huh and thanks for your help Smile

30 000 no shit
Kernal Clink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: GearBox Conversion Reply with quote

ok ppl i forgot to mention im a moron and know nothing about cars so when u say these things to me im ???????????

but you have all help heaps

also there is an artical that i read on this site very very good

http://www.hotgemini.com/cgi-bin/workshop2.cgi?action=rt&tip_id=78
Kernal Clink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: GearBox Conversion Reply with quote

my friend says that the flywheel will be hard to change anyone want to tell me otherwise
Kernal Clink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: GearBox Conversion Reply with quote

im in melb i will drive all that way if its a good price
JFK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: GearBox Conversion Reply with quote

lol whats a good price
Tooleeda
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: GearBox Conversion Reply with quote

Adam, you missed the threadlock for the flywheel bolts Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: