HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

TG - Wheels
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEM90D
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:08 pm    Post subject: TG - Wheels Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
My TG sedan will eventually be painted deep metallic purple or metallic black with purple pearl -- thats the paint sorted out but i cant decide on wheels. What should i get -16" or 17"? what style?
suggestions plz.

Cheers,
Ryan.
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: TG - Wheels Reply with quote

Do you plan on having it legal and/or driveable? 17's will look sick but you can have heaps of problems with scrubbing out and all that if you plan on doing rough road driving.
GEM90D
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TG - Wheels Reply with quote

yeah i do want it legal -- scrubbing shouldnt be a problem i am gettin the guards rolled/flared a couple of inches to stop it rubbing. The springs i have are fairly hard also.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 12:17 am    Post subject: UR IN THE SHIT Reply with quote

well if u want it leagal 14's are all u can put on!!
the law says "that u can only increase the cars rims size by 1 inch over the factory sizes!" geminis came out with 13's standard meaning 14's are the bigest u can go!!. but fuck that!! i have 15's on mine and it looks good!! but i would prefere the 16's with 40 series tyres!! i wouldnt go 17's as there tobig and throw ya speedo out tooo much!!
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: UR IN THE SHIT Reply with quote

I thought 15 was stock
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

Which law would this be gene? I isn't mentioned at all in the queensland light vehicle modification regulations so I am curious as to where you are quoting this from.

As for throwing the speedo out, you can't legally fit them if it affects your speedo +/- some amount which escapes my mind.

As for 17s... FWIW I wouldn't fit more than 15s, spend the money on some good light wheels, unsprung mass is more important than the diameter of your wheels, and lightweight motorsport wheels cost a fair penny, then spend the rest on some decent tyres.

I had a laugh at one of the members of the BrizS13 club the other day, he was fitting no-name cheapy 2nd hand tyres to his silvia because he spent his money having his 17 inch wheels polished.
GEM90D
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

There are two geminis across the road from me , a TG sedan and a TF sedan. The TG sedan has a V6 conversion , and 17"s. Both of these things are APPARENTLY illegal and CANNOT be done, but this guy has them done and they are enginerred.. all done legit too. So obviously 17"s are legal. I am in NSW. the TF also rides on 17"s and is DUMPED to the max it overlaps the rim itself by about 1 inch thats how low it is..
heh
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

Well I am not familiar with the NSW rules however they are supposedly uniform. I should probably be more clear in my posts, an engine larger (in CCs) than 3 times the unladen mass of the heaviest sedan model in the range without accessories is not eligible for approval under code LA - option 3.

It could however be approved under code LO1, however the approvals process is much more stringent, the same as the process for an individually manufactured vehicle.
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

Where do you live, GEM90D?
You should come out to the next Sydney Gem club meeting.
2nd Wednesday of each month, 7:30 pm, Wentworthville Macca's on the Great Western Highway. Everyone will be happy to answer any questions.
GEM90D
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

I'm from St Clair in sydney's south west ( i think?! ) lol. I would come along but i'm 15, i cant drive just yet. Only a few months to go , tho Smile
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

Fuk man you live rite near me then, (penrith). what are the plates of these gems? and colours etc, i will have seen them around. : )

P.S. anything is legal if its engineered! you can slap 20's on a gem if your willing to pay through the nose for an engineer to check and verify it. All it has to do is not scrub at full lock on the strut or the guard. (so ive been told)
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

If you want to actually enjoy driving your baby then i wouldn't go bigger than a 15 with 50 serie tyres. The OD (overall diameter) of a gem tyre from factory is approx 584mm, so a 15/50 is fine. As for width, no bigger than 6.5 on the fron and 7 on the rear. This makes for trouble free easy driving and keeps all in order suspension wise. 17 inch wheels would require something along the lines of a 30 series, which if you lower the car or fit uprated shocks will also require a kidney belt. 15's is the largest diameter that can be fitted without requiring a specific engineers certificate. I just looked it up in my book called "How to Engineer Street Machines" (u all have to get one!) It states that 2 inches over standard rim size is max.

This book is dated '99 however and these bloody regs change overnight sometimes and vary from copper to copper.
GEM90D
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

PETE: i forget the plates of the gems they are normal NSW plates , nothing special. The TF is bright orange riding on 17" alderstadt 3's and the TG V6 is dark metallic green riding on 17" alderstadt 3's also
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

I think I know what TG your on about, are the wheels polished and do they look like BMW wheels? I think it used to be 'MRHSV' or something. It's pulled a 12.9 1/4 Mile when it had an auto with 4000rpm stall converter.
GEM90D
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels Reply with quote

Not sure i havent really talked to the guy yet
i have only moved to this street a month ago... So i havent gotten around to going over and talking to him about his car yet.

Its pretty stock lookin on the outside , its got plates UMX *** i dont kno the last threeee numbers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: